Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2017, 06:50 PM

sarah2017 is on a distinguished road
Default Right of Access When Leaving

My ex is moving to another province away from the children and myself. We donít have 50/50 currently so the children are remaining here with me. But it is his choice to leave (he has a good job here). He could stay here close to the children but that isnít a priority for him. What is his rights to access? It is about 8-10 hours of travel for the children to go visit him. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:53 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I would hope that you offer generous access to his children. He must be moving across the country? Or is the 8-10 hour travel time by vehicle? Have the two of you discussed the high cost of him exercising his access? Perhaps you can swing an arrangement that keeps the two of you away from court too much. Do you have a separation agreement?
Old 12-02-2017, 08:21 PM

Yes we have a separation agreement. Things were not going well prior to his decision to move and I had just filed to get sole custody and reduce access. One of my children is not doing well mentally and he hasnít been making the best decisions when it comes to their best interests. He thinks I am going to be paying half of the travel costs. The children will need to fly and there are no direct flights. My children are 6 and 8.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:42 PM

I would really appreciate people's opinions on this. Specifically with holiday access.... For example: I can't see the children having 2 out of 4 days travelling in a 4 day weekend to go see him.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:54 PM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

Does his move have anything to do with you going to court to change his access? Maybe he is making this decision in anger and/or exasperation and not going to go through with it.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:02 PM

It is just coincidence. He is moving with his new fiancť and her kids (who currently live in same city as us). He is choosing to leave despite having a high paying secure job here.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:26 PM

Well you say you filed to obtain sole custody and reduce his access to the children. So it seems you have obtained what you wanted without going to court.

Money isn't the end-all for some people. He is planning a life with someone else. Wish him well and tell him you hope he stays in touch with his children.

You can't force someone to want to spend time with their kids.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:39 PM

I don't feel as though I have obtained anything....we don't have a new agreement yet. His proposal says that we share travel expenses which I don't understand since he chose to leave. It also includes all march breaks, all Easter breaks, all thanksgivings, over half the summer and half of Christmas as well as access anytime he is in our area. His access only last summer increased to two weeks and that was non consecutive. So I am struggling with what I 'need' to offer for holiday access.

Last edited by sarah2017; 12-02-2017 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Forgot a holiday
Old 12-03-2017, 12:02 AM

Oh ok. I thought he was basically walking away. So he proposes to move and wants to maintain parenting time with the children. In that case I'd simply propose (in light of his leaving a higher paying job for a lower paying job? - do you know that for certain?) what is reasonable for children that age. If you don't want your children to go through arduous travel then it might make sense for them to spend a few weeks with him in Summer. Shared Christmas and Spring breaks (1 week with each parent?). Shorter holidays you might alternate year by year?

I'd carefully consider his rationale for moving. Do you know what it is?

I'm sure some other people here will have some good ideas.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:15 AM

He has so far told me that it will be a pay increase but I have not been able to confirm. He had a permanent government position making over $125k per year here in Ottawa. I don't see any good reason for moving there away from his children.