Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 07:20 PM

luckyduck is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this. Until this past August the child support I received was in cash as well, which I tracked in Excel (but didn't provide receipts). My ex doesn't have a lawyer and is willing to write a letter with me, but contests my desire for sole custody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singledad99 View Post
They usually ask for proof only for the first time when you claim such credits. I don't think your ex will give you a letter that easily (especially if he has a lawyer) as it might create some sort of prejudice against him. What you should do is to call your reviewing officer at CRA and discuss the situation with him/her. Send them the SIN and birth certificate of your son, SIN of your ex so they can track who else is eligible to claim the dependent. If you have got the support payments by cheques, attach their copies if you have them. Since you don't have anything else in writing, you may want to write a sworn affidavit outlining the current custody arrangement and send it to them.

Also write a nice cover letter explaining what you are sending and what you can't provide under the circumstances.

I was asked to do the same for my son and for the spousal support payments on separate occasions. I had no proof of spousal support because it was all cash. I sent them copy of my ex's email demanding for support arrears for missed months of the year (we moved to FRO and they took their sweet time to process the case). I used it as circumstantial evidence that email was proof that prior and subsequent payments were made.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:21 PM

I asked him at least twice, and he says he didn't. It's possible that he didn't file taxes at all for last year but doesn't want to admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris View Post
Wow, I can believe I'm posting this to 2 different people on here the same day. CCRA will ask for proof of custody if both parents claimed the child as a dependent on their tax return. Is it possible that your child's father did that?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:00 AM

Default Update

I wrote a letter outlining our situation, that said, "As parents of B, we, KD and DJ, agree that K was the primary caregiver and residential custodian of B in 2007 and 2008, granting full access and visitation to D. This arrangement may be modified in 2009 if both parties agree to mediate a more formal agreement. As of July __, 2008, K has been receiving $100.00 a week from D's employer, ___ of Toronto, ON. Prior to this date, K had been receiving without regularity cash amounts from $100 to $400 a month."

I made sure our addresses and SINs were at the top, and our signatures and dates were at the bottom, and faxed it off with the original letter and a Schedule 5 to the CRA.

Fingers crossed that this will suffice!
Closed Thread