Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2015, 01:27 AM

Baffled_Dad is on a distinguished road
Default Representing yourself reducing SS

Has anyone made the attempt in getting the proper forms to reduce SS and representing yourself? I'm sure it's probably wise to have your lawyer with you although it's the cost of having him there. I'm sure the percentages are real low in succeeding lowering SS or having a judge grant a step down SS, when attempting it on your own? Any advice to this would be appreciated.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:44 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I've read many cases on CanLii where self-represented people were successful in reducing and eliminating SS. IT's a case-by-case situation.

The biggest hurdle at the start is to prove a "material change of circumstance." My advice is to do plenty of reading on that specifically then go from there.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:35 PM

bestformykid is on a distinguished road

Just wonder what is SS mean. I am new to this forum. And like to share experiences.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:37 PM

Any one may tell me how to post my question?
Can not wait to ask any one has experienced Mr.Cecil lyon? Please share if you know any.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:57 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

bestformykid - if you look near the top of your screen you will see

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums>Main Category If you click on "main category" you can go to the heading for new posters. That way you will learn how and where to best post your question.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled_Dad View Post
Has anyone made the attempt in getting the proper forms to reduce SS and representing yourself? I'm sure it's probably wise to have your lawyer with you although it's the cost of having him there. I'm sure the percentages are real low in succeeding lowering SS or having a judge grant a step down SS, when attempting it on your own? Any advice to this would be appreciated.
Umm, its super contextual. You need to give more details. I've studied the issue somewhat and yes, its fairly difficult I would say.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:30 PM

nogoingback is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled_Dad View Post
Do you have a review date written into your agreement? Was there an expectation that your spouse become self sufficient by a certain date? Is the spousal support compensatory or non-compensatory? How long were you married? Has your ex repartnered?
There are many variables that affect the outcome of trying to change SS, regardless of whether you self-rep or lawyer-up.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:25 AM

thank you arabian
Old 09-14-2015, 07:55 AM

Baffled_Dad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogoingback View Post
Do you have a review date written into your agreement? Was there an expectation that your spouse become self sufficient by a certain date? Is the spousal support compensatory or non-compensatory? How long were you married? Has your ex repartnered?
There are many variables that affect the outcome of trying to change SS, regardless of whether you self-rep or lawyer-up.
My lawyer said I didn't need a review date. He said we can do it close to the half way point unless she repartners, wages increase, and a few others he mentioned.I was married 161/2 years. It doesn't say anywhere in the minutes of settlement or final order wether it was compensatory or non-compensentory. No she hasn't partnered. They run the other way..lol! I've given her almost 70%of the assets and bought her out of my pension included and she's received up to date in support payment of almost $150k her part of the assets totalled another $130K and paid vehicle. She made out pretty good. When is enough....enough?!
She also Has a $20/hr job with a vested pension.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

How long has it been?

What was your family income at the time of marriage?

What was her role/sacrifice during the marriage?

What is the custody arrangement?

What was her income at seperation time?

How much are you paying now?

What was her career path before the marriage?