Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2015, 08:38 AM

Trix is on a distinguished road
Default Regular Service of scanned Form 4 through e-mail

Good morning,

The topic of document service has been covered before on these pages but my question is specific.

I was wondering if Regular Service of a Document (Form 4 notice of Change in Representation) can be done through e-mailing the scanned document in PDF. Format. Given that rule 6 of the Family Law Rules provides for fax, I was wondering if anyone knew if providing scanned documents was also acceptable.

Many thanks,
Old 08-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Banned

everafter is on a distinguished road

OP....You will have to be certain that the person checks their email all the time, and that you have the right email address. PDF or Word doc is irrelevant. Most documents received in family law are transmitted using .pdf anyway

Now, is there any reason why you can't do one of the following? At the time, ex's lawyer sent me a snail mail to inform me of the change.

Mailing a copy of the document to the person or to the person’s lawyer;
Sending a copy of the document to the person or to the person’s lawyer by courier;

Faxing a copy of the document to the person or to the person’s lawyer; or

Using any one of the three special service methods as set out above.

https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov...._part_6_en.pdf

Old 08-07-2015, 09:45 AM

Trix is on a distinguished road

She is self representing, lives on email, does not want me handing her anything and I will also be sending her the original by mail.

Given that I don't believe she will confirm the mail receipt, I was intending on keeping the read-receipt from the email I would send.

I just wasn't sure if that was acceptable.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:09 AM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by everafter View Post
OP....You will have to be certain that the person checks their email all the time, and that you have the right email address.
^incorrect. You can only serve via email of the other party consents, or if the court orders.

If you are going to be mailing the original, just follow up with your Form6b confirming you served via mail. Why did you want to email?