Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums (
-   Divorce & Family Law (
-   -   Question: My sisters Ex is in arrears about $16000 and the oldest turns 21 very soon. (

DaveJ 09-09-2017 07:34 PM

Question: My sisters Ex is in arrears about $16000 and the oldest turns 21 very soon.
My sisters Ex is arrears $16000 for child support and the oldest turns 21 soon.
The big problem is he works for his Father's company and they are a very wealthy family that have hired an expensive lawyer to continually harass my sister for many years since the divorce. The harassment is intensifying I believe because the oldest is about to turn 21 but I am not sure. Her ex is trying all kinds of tricks to get her to sign a motion of change agreement.
My question is if there is some way to put this to an end where this lawyer and and her ex can no longer harass my sister and she can just let Fro deal with it.

edit: He is also asking for the Child support arrears to be no longer owed and for my sister to pay for the legal costs of this expensive lawyer gathered through the years.
Any helpful advice would be much appreciated so we can put all of this behind us.

rockscan 09-09-2017 09:04 PM

Has she filed the original order with fro?

DaveJ 09-09-2017 09:10 PM

Yes to her filing the original order with Fro.

Beachnana 09-10-2017 12:38 AM

Tell your sister to change her email, her phone number and unlist it. Then have all her mail go to a mail po box and go once a week and " return to sender" any communication received.

Anything to avoid ex. Put him on ignore. Have absolutely no conversations with him. Let FRO deal with the arrears. That's there job and they have lawyers.

If ex comes to her home then Get a restraining order to prevent him.

In other words stop being a push over and tell him to pay up and " }%}^~!~ off"

DaveJ 09-10-2017 09:18 AM

Would it be possible to ask Fro to send one of their lawyers to deal with her ex and his lawyer so she no longer has to?

DaveJ 09-10-2017 09:34 AM

Her ex lawyer keeps filing motions but none of them appear before a judge can she ignore those too?

rockscan 09-10-2017 11:08 AM

If he files motions she needs to respond otherwise she could have an order made in her absence.

What are his motions for? To stopchild support? Then she needs to respond that the child is still a child of the marriage and in school. To cancel the arrears, she needs to respond that he has failed to pay the child support ordered to him and she can request full disclosure of money.

If he is working and the company he works for isnt sending the garnished amount to FRO then she needs to contact FRO and speak to a manager or supervisor and have it investigated why they are not garnishing his wages. She could also contact the ombudsperson and complain that FRO is failing to garnish his wages.

Your sister needs to do a little work otherwise hes going to get away with it. You cant just file with FRO and expect they will do all the leg work. If she isnt getting her money and hes working then she needs to start asking FRO why!

DaveJ 09-10-2017 01:51 PM

Rockscan She has her lawyer meeting with the exes lawyer to meet about the motions but I don't believe there is a judge involved and they are telling her not to be present so I wonder if they are making decisions outside of the legal system and my sister needs to be aware of this?

Also my sister is asking whether there are actual lawyers on this forum reading this or what are their qualifications?

arabian 09-10-2017 02:35 PM

People on here do not propose to be lawyers. Many people do, however, have experience and are willing to share their experiences and offer insight/solutions.

Many people on here have self-represented in family court. That is no small feat.

It is incumbent upon your sister for her to bone-up on research so when she meets with a lawyer she can understand basic concepts. People on here can direct her where to get additional information.

rockscan 09-10-2017 03:24 PM

You're not really making much sense.

She has filed her originally order with FRO to recover money but then you say he is in arrears of $16,000. Has FRO been collecting or are they saying they can't find him or his company is not recovering money? If this is the case she needs to get on FRO to recover the money.

You say they keep sending her things to harass her. Are they sending letters or motions they have filed? There is a BIG difference. If they are letters she can either ignore or respond that until his arrears are paid in full you will not be negotiating anything.

Are they seeking mediation and that is what she is sitting down to do? She doesnt have to agree to mediation. She can simply say she is not negotiating anything until he pays his arrears in full.

Is the child still in school? Has the ex paid any school expenses? Does he still owe money?

Your sister needs to get a lawyer to help her through this. You cant come here saying the ex owes 16000 and keeps having meetings with lawyers. That doesnt make sense and people on here cant recommend info. Is she or is she not involved in a court proceeding? Does she have a court date? Has she appeared before a judge? What are the forms that have been filed? Has she requested financial disclosure?

All of this information is relevant. The ex SHOULD have been providing his financial disclosure each year to update child support. The ex SHOULD have been provided with expenses for school with full details on expenses. FRO SHOULD be collecting money from his paycheque and taxes.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0