Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Banned

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
This is why it's my last resort to serve her at work. I want to minimize embarrassment and will try to serve her so that only she's aware of what's going on. (hence why serving at place of residence is where I will first attempt)
Just remember you can't do it on your own for the initial application. Hire a process server. If process server can't serve them then they will provide an affidavit confirming their attempts and then you could get permission from judge to serve by alternate methods, i.e., mail or e-mail.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:35 PM

mathatter89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinton View Post
Just remember you can't do it on your own. Hire a process server. If process server can't serve them then they will provide an affidavit confirming their attempts and then you could get permission from judge to serve by alternate methods, i.e., mail or e-mail.
My apologies. I thought I had posted this upthread but I am doing this through process server as required by law.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
My apologies. I thought I had posted this upthread but I am doing this through process server as required by law.
You could have any 3rd party person serve them. Aunts, uncles, etc. (for as long as there is no restraining order against them) - Doesn't have to be a "process server". But that goes back to the uncomfortable/ embarrassment thing. So just use a process server.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
You could have any 3rd party person serve them. Aunts, uncles, etc. Doesn't have to be a "process server". But that goes back to the embarrassment thing. So just use a process server.
Precisely. I'd rather get it done right by a professional. Plus, that way I don't have to ask that someone else to get an affidavit of service signed by a notary public. Too much work to save a few $.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Precisely. I'd rather get it done right by a professional. Plus, that way I don't have to ask that someone else to get an affidavit of service signed by a notary public. Too much work to save a few $.
Yeah. If you can afford it, use it. If you can't, then different story.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah. If you can afford it, use it. If you can't, then different story.
What am I missing here?

It's going to cost me around $100 with HST for the attempt and a video recording of the attempt and the affidavit by the process server.

That's not too expensive.

Alternately I would have to pay a notary public to have a friend/family member serve it. I'd be ahead what...$70?

I feel like i'm missing something here.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
What am I missing here?

It's going to cost me around $100 with HST for the attempt and a video recording of the attempt and the affidavit by the process server.

That's not too expensive.

Alternately I would have to pay a notary public to have a friend/family member serve it. I'd be ahead what...$70?

I feel like i'm missing something here.
Court clerks can act as commissioner for taking affidavits. It's like 10 or 20 dollars. Sometimes they do it for free.. especially if you know any court clerks

Process server costs can run high. Especially when they're unprofessional. My last lawyers process server didn't return my call to make arrangements on the day we discussed and tried to serve me on an unarranged day when I was at a parenting class. And continued to try and serve me on unarranged times when I would not be available and not pickup the phone when I would call him to arrange something. In the end he left it with family 3 days past the deadline without permission from court and so I was granted an adjournment to properly prepare for the assessment hearing but I accepted service because I didn't want to deal with a moron process server any more. Waste of my time and a nice ding to the lawyers pocket due to all of the failed attempts.

Last edited by trinton; 06-03-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Court clerks can act as commissioner for taking affidavits. It's like 10 or 20 dollars. Sometimes they do it for free.. especially if you know any court clerks

Process server costs can run high. Especially when they're unprofessional. My last lawyers process server didn't return my call to make arrangements on the day we discussed and tried to serve me on an unarranged day when I was at a parenting class. And continued to try and serve me on unarranged times when I would not be available and not pickup the phone when I would call him to arrange something. In the end he left it with family 3 days past the deadline without permission from court and so I was granted an adjournment to properly prepare for the assessment hearing but I accepted service because I didn't want to deal with a moron process server any more. Waste of my time and a nice ding to the lawyers pocket due to all of the failed attempts.
I see. I did a lot of research for process servers as there were very few with reviews. I'm surprised that there are so many servers out there. I guess most are scams.

I found one that will take recordings of each attempt and to provide them to the applicant/customers. I'm hoping that this will help with a successful delivery and a good experience as a customer.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
I see. I did a lot of research for process servers as there were very few with reviews. I'm surprised that there are so many servers out there. I guess most are scams.

I found one that will take recordings of each attempt and to provide them to the applicant/customers. I'm hoping that this will help with a successful delivery and a good experience as a customer.
Just keep in back of your head that judges don't want parents recording each other. If your pricess server is doing it however it might be fine. But I think a simple affidavit by server should suffice.

Last edited by trinton; 06-03-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Just keep in back of your head that judges don't want parents recording each other. If your pricess server is doing it however it might be fine.
Yes, also I/we don't have kids. Just two adults dealing with a divorce.