Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 04:36 PM

WorkingDAD is on a distinguished road
Default In preparation to the trial

Hello everyone.

Despite my hope looks like I will have to go to the trial...
Now I have to really step-up. do not even know how I will be able to do it considering level of energy what is close to 0.

so I was surfing web and came to this

Family Law Basics-2010 Update

Conducting an Effective Family Law Trial―Techniques & Tools for Efficient Trial Preparation

TRIALS IN FAMILY LAW CASE

It's not cheap. But look like cover whole thing. Problem that it in BC and I am in ON.

Does anyone know something similar what I can use for ON? first thing what I am thinking now that I need to adjourn it... Is it easy to do? what is procedure?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:19 PM

staysingle is on a distinguished road

working Dad send me a private message. I too am going to trial in a month. I also successfully had my trial date adjourned.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

I could use some help on this subject too.
If you two can direct me to any resources, or share somr personal experience - please let me know.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:26 PM

wretchedotis,
are you in trial soon?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:39 PM

Not real soon. Settlement conferenece is scheduled in July.
This is my second time through, however. My ex has filed a motion to change, and I intend goto trial. The first time I settled hopping to reduce conflict and make things easier for our son.
Conflict has increased exponentially since settlement, and I'm sick of it. So I intend to goto trial.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM

what are the main issues?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:01 PM

In settlement we agreed on a lower CS payment (based on previous years income), then table would have indicated on the job that I had just recently landed.
Both her an her lawyer were informed of my new wage. Under advisement of her lawyer she withdrew from FRO as it was understood CS would increase substantially the following year, and FRO is fraught with error. So to make things easier with the coming CS payment change - we would just skip them.

Now she has filed at court stating she was unaware of the new wage- and wants retro-active catch up payments.

In addition - she is seeking to reduce my access time.

My response was for me to have full custody. I would prefer shared custody - but she moved an hour out of the city during our first bout of litigation. So unfortunately that is impossible. The boy cannot attend school in two seperate districts.

I've also asked to not be responsable for the back pay - as she was in agreeance at the time, and had the benefit of counsel in making her decision.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:15 PM

mummer1962 is on a distinguished road

Represent Yourself In Court - How To Prepare And Try A Winning Case.

I found this book very helpful. Was in trial last month. Waiting for order but i believe i set a precedent!
What stage of preparation are you at?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Both her an her lawyer were informed of my new wage.
And you have proof of this correct?

Quote:
Now she has filed at court stating she was unaware of the new wage- and wants retro-active catch up payments
Easily rebutted if you have the notification that you sent to her/her attorney regarding the agreement to withdraw from FRO and to base support on the commonly accepted methodology.

Quote:
but she moved an hour out of the city during our first bout of litigation. So unfortunately that is impossible. The boy cannot attend school in two seperate districts.
So she uprooted the kids from the school district/etc without notice...did you file with the courts to have the children returned to their district?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:38 PM

WorkingDAD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummer1962 View Post

Represent Yourself In Court - How To Prepare And Try A Winning Case.

I found this book very helpful. Was in trial last month. Waiting for order but i believe i set a precedent!
What stage of preparation are you at?
I think I look for that book. But as I remembered it was about civil litigation and in US. But probably still better than nothing.

I was thinking about something specific for Family Law in Canada. From my understanding it has nothing to do with Family and for sure with law

My stage of preparation - I MY GOT WHAT I AM GOING TO DO! )) As I said I completely lost.

I am thinking to find some lawyer who would give me consultation. Direct me. Tell me what to do 1. 2. 3. and if I will be able to pay for to go through my papers.

Anyone have any experience with such schema? Any recommendations?

Thank you

PS: but first I have to get rid of enormous headache what drive me crazy. May be have to start drinking ? ))
Closed Thread