Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2017, 04:12 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

^^^ Yes, but it's also comments like this: "Weak, unemployed women are the most powerful people in family law". If this is your experience, flag it as your experience. In my own admittedly limited experience, I've see both unemployed women and very well-off men leveraging their respective conditions to get what they want.

If it's actually objectively true that weak women are the most powerful people in family law ... substantiate it.

(I still maintain that a separate forum for talking about how women screw men over would be useful for some of the regulars, kind of like a time-out corner, though not necessarily Janus who often has interesting ideas and thoughts).
Old 02-20-2017, 04:40 PM

whyme? is on a distinguished road

hmmm...interesting moral/ethical dilemma regarding giving advice to someone who's heart is obviously in the right place. tough call indeed
Old 02-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Banned

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyme? View Post
hmmm...interesting moral/ethical dilemma regarding giving advice to someone who's heart is obviously in the right place. tough call indeed
he came to odf and asked for help on a site where legal advice is given based on personal experiences with the law. he didn't go to the circle of moms forum to discuss his problems.

perhaps he's on the wrong site if his daughter and matrimonial home is not his primary objective from a legal standpoint.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 05:02 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

^^^Just a quick correction: nobody here is giving legal advice, we're offering ideas and opinions ("legal advice" is for people who are professionally qualified to advise like lawyers - who might be upset if they saw anonymous internet posters using the term).
Old 02-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
^^^Just a quick correction: nobody here is giving legal advice, we're offering ideas and opinions ("legal advice" is for people who are professionally qualified to advise like lawyers - who might be upset if they saw anonymous internet posters using the term).
yes you are right." legal advice "can only be given and should only be accepted from YOUR lawyer.

but i see the term legal advice used as a slogan of this forum and my interpretation of that is advice based on personal experience. many of us including my self have self represented court appearances with success, spoke to lawyers, have had and presently have really good lawyers , been to court and watched motions, and personally been through highly contested conferences and motions .

Old 02-20-2017, 05:16 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinton View Post
Not his problem.

ps. legal aid lawyers are generally low paid and crap.
Someone being funded by legal aid often have their choice of many lawyers. The thing about going against a spouse with legal aid funding is that they have a bigger war chest than you do and can drag things out much longer.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Someone being funded by legal aid often have their choice of many lawyers. The thing about going against a spouse with legal aid funding is that they have a bigger war chest than you do and can drag things out much longer.
nah. everytime my ex had a legal aid lawyer they did more damage for them than good. where i had a lawyer they were always trumped and sharked.

not many lawyers take legal aid where i am
generally only new lawyers. legal aid rate is much much less than what they would get paid from regular clients. they would have to do 3+ hours of legal work to get paid what one hour of legal work from a regular client would pay.

there is also an alloted fund that runs out and has to be renewed. usually they have to re apply when a matter doesn't settle and is ordered to go to trial.

these "helpless" women/men on legal aid can also be ordered to pay costs if they lose.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:27 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

My lawyer (excellent) takes 1 legal aid certificate per year. He sees it as giving something back to the community. He told me this is not unusual.

The re-applying is a minor task of filling out forms at best.

Certainly costs can go either way nowadays.

A fraction of cases in family law go anywhere beyond a case conference or two. Most people find they can't afford their lawyers and are motivated to settle out of court.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
My lawyer (excellent) takes 1 legal aid certificate per year. He sees it as giving something back to the community. He told me this is not unusual.

The re-applying is a minor task of filling out forms at best.

Certainly costs can go either way nowadays.

A fraction of cases in family law go anywhere beyond a case conference or two. Most people find they can't afford their lawyers and are motivated to settle out of court.
lawyers like yours are very rare. most lawyers are out right for the mighty buck. the good ones anyways. they don't work or offer their highly appreciated expertise and services for free. not saying they don't care about you. my present lawyer is expensive but he literally bends over backwards for me and my child.

they usually resort to legal aid when they run out of money. and when you've already spoken to all the good lawyers that take legal aid, then they are generally sol.