Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 07:40 AM

KMF is on a distinguished road

I was awarded costs in several of the settlement conferences, but very small amounts....$450, $1000, $500. Then at the motion to strike, I was awarded $4000, but when we appeared before the same judge on the contempt charge (it was his order), he rescinded the $4000 cost order and issued the penalty of $5000. I was pretty pissed. My lawyer hasn't charged me, because whenever there's a cost order, I write whatever money I get to him as soon as I get it. My idiot ex hasn't appeared on three separate occasions but I showed up, so why shouldn't he pay costs?

The system sucks. he doesn't care when he gets hit with a cost order or penalty because he merely doesn't pay. No one has forced him to, so why would he? Jail is the only thing that will scare him.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:43 AM

KMF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
I wonder if you had simply asked for a fine the very first time like they did in the case I posted instead of seeking a contempt finding if it would have been faster and easier

Have you and your lawyer thought of requesting an ongoing fine for non-compliance? I read of that happening somewhere but can't remember the name of the case.

So for every 30 days that passes where he does not comply with the order and provide the disclosure, he is fined another $1000.
We haven't done that yet, but I'm going in next week to finish up my uncontested trial. I wonder if my lawyer can work something like that in. He doesn't pay for anything, he doesn't pay support unless he's forced into a corner, he ignores orders, etc. An ongoing fine would be a really good idea.