Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2015, 01:59 PM

KidsAreWorthIt is on a distinguished road
Default Other side sent letter refusing mediation

Hummm, the other side sent a letter refusing mediation because they believe that I will not negotiate in good faith. First, what does that accomplish? They are making assumptions there; who knows what will be accomplished at mediation. Did the ex's lawyer make a "rookie" mistake? I know I can use that letter in court to prove their unwillingness to cooperate. What lawyer in their right mind would officially refuse my request for mediation? This only hurts their case, right?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:41 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

The letter means two things:

1- they're trying to prove you won't compromise so they will get costs from having to go to court.

2- their idea of negotiating in good faith is you agreeing to do what they want.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:17 PM

Stillbreathing is on a distinguished road

Had a similar thing happen. I was the one who told my lawyer when I first hired him not to waste his breath as STBX would not co-operate. He asked the other side anyway to meet and try to mediate. Ex's lawyer replied that ex and he would meet with us if he could have unsupervised access and sole custody and me pay spousal , child support and sign over the entire matrimonial home!
My lawyer was shocked he was so irrational and unreasonable but said this would work against him if it ever went to trial...and guess who's going to trial?
Old 10-07-2015, 11:05 AM

KidsAreWorthIt is on a distinguished road

When is your trial date?

And yes, the "rookie" mistake of the other side is priceless. First, a year ago they wanted mediation (stated this in a letter to us) and then recently, they say "no" ....but wee still have never met for mediation in the first place. They suggested bad mediators, we suggested neutral ones, but they only want their mediators. Actually, one of the mediator's is an in-law to their lawyer. How messed up is that? That should not even be allowed.

Tags
resuing mediation