Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2015, 02:31 PM

KidsAreWorthIt is on a distinguished road
Default Other side not playing nice, so should I do same?

Should I play their "game"? The other side's lawyer is slime and throws wild lies all the time in to their written submissions and in front of the judge. So, I am seriously contemplating sinking to their level to "level" the playing field. Actually, I we recently set up a 4 way meeting (it will occur in 2 weeks) to show them some of the many "cards" - actually my ex has an important government position, and I have lots of dirt/secrets that he told me that would totally ruin his career, and probably get him arrested (which would solve many problems). I plan to threaten to tell them that I would go to the press, and/or inform their superiors of the TOP SECRET information that they frequently leaked/divulged to me. I hate to do this, but it seems the only way to get them to stop trying to imply that I am a bad person and stop them from wasting money by constantly dragging things out and creating motions.. So, my question to all of you knowledgeable people is, "Should I go ahead and make the threat?"
Old 10-09-2015, 03:15 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

No.

What you are proposing is insane and would make you look even crazier than your ex.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:24 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

So this is going to get you the money that you feel you are entitled to?

Have you asked your lawyer this question?

ex·tor·tion
ikˈstôrSH(ə)n/
noun
the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.
synonyms: blackmail, shakedown; formalexaction
"arrested on a charge of extortion"
Old 10-09-2015, 03:25 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
No.

What you are proposing is insane and would make you look even crazier than your ex.
This, exactly this. I was typing a long post in response and lost it. But Stripes said everything that needed to be said.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:29 PM

It's not about the money. It's the custody of the kids that is the most important thing here. My ex is positively crazy - and yes, he was arrested and charged with making threats - which he confessed to. My ex is bi-polar and has MANY severe OCD issues. The kids are too young to endure his wrath. For me, I just want all of their lies to stop, and if making this "threat" (just a threat) in a 4 way meeting (where we all sign something that says none of this can be used/referred to later - like what you do for mediation) - then at this point, I think it is my only option.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:30 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Oh. Well in that case.....

....it's still wrong, insane and bordering on (if not entirely??) illegal.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:31 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
So this is going to get you the money that you feel you are entitled to?

Have you asked your lawyer this question?

ex·tor·tion
ikˈstôrSH(ə)n/
noun
the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.
synonyms: blackmail, shakedown; formalexaction
"arrested on a charge of extortion"
Be it money or custody of the kids, extortion is extortion. Any agreement made under such means is invalid and would be tossed by the courts if/when challenged.

Further, your own lawyer may drop you because they won't want to be a party to such methods.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:32 PM

If my ex gets custody of these young kids, their lives will be ruined. If that is the case, I would be making my way to a country with no extradition order with Canada. (Guess I might want to be learning Croation now?)
Old 10-09-2015, 03:33 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidsAreWorthIt View Post
If my ex gets custody of these young kids, their lives will be ruined. If that is the case, I would be making my way to a country with no extradition order with Canada. (Guess I might want to be learning Croation now?)
I hope your ex reads this message board.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:37 PM

OK then, an anonymous tip to CSIS or CSE and let them deal/arrest him then.....problem solved.
Closed Thread