Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM

EverMoma is on a distinguished road
Default ODSP, child support and FRO?

I gave a quick search of the forms but did come across my exact question or and answer for it so I'll apologize in advance if its been asked before.

I am on ODSP and i get support for my older daughter but when support was set up it wasn't through court and so wasn't filed with FRO (her father wasn't working when we were going through court) so he just put it in my account every month which we haven't had a problem cause he knows i can go file our order with FRO at anytime and I know all to well that the money comes right off my ODSP check dollar for dollar which sucks but what can you do.. What I don't know is how it works when FRO is involved does the support money come to me and is taken off my check like pretty much how it all works now or does the money some how get sent to ODSP and I just continue to receive what I do now from them? I'm asking cause I don't plan on being on ODSP forever and want to know if its gonna be a huge hassle when i do start working again to get the money switched to being sent to me ... I also think when I set up support with my older DD's dad I was told if i filed it through FRO it would go to them and my check wouldn't change (this was like 6 years ago) ... anyone know how this works?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:55 AM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

So you want to know how to more efficiently screw the system for longer?

Nice.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 PM

arabian is on a distinguished road

If you are received payment from the child's father on a regular, timely basis why rock the boat now? Any maintenance enforcement system has it's flaws and one common one is time to process. If you stopped receiving money from FRO (assuming you registerd with them) you would likely receive money from ODSP. I believe this would happen after ODSP was satisfied that FRO had exhausted their collection activities. Later if he started paying once again he would be in arrears and the arrears would be directed to ODSP, not you.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:36 PM

Blink - How am I screwing the system?

arabian - I'm not asking about my older daughter's child support I have no reason to change anything with that I get my money every month and have been for 6 years. I am asking from my 8 month olds fathers child support... I was told years ago when I started getting support for my older daughter that if I filed the order with FRO that my money would be given to ODSP and I would just receive it on my normal ODSP check instead of it coming directly to me and ODSP taking the money off my check.... the child support for my 8 month old starts next month (by our court order) but it is being filed with FRO so I was trying to find out if the money goes from FRO to ODSP or if it goes from FRO to me.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Berner_Faith is on a distinguished road

It seems to be the understanding that you are asking, if the money goes directly to you, then your ODSP won't be affected... but if FRO sends it to ODSP then you will lose out on some income... at least that seems to be how it is reading.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 PM

Berner - Thats not what I'm meaning at all It comes off my ODSP weather or not it comes directly to me or goes to them. Other wise I wouldn't have the money problems I do. Both of my court orders/child support orders are in my file at my ODSP office with my worker. I am just wanting to know if the money will come to me and so be taken off my ODSP check or if it goes to no ODSP and the amount i receive from ODSP doesn't change because they are essentially giving me my ODSP income support as well as my child support on the same check.
I didn't realize the way I wrote it made it sound like I'm trying to commit fraud, there's much better ways and a hell of a lot more legal ways if i want more money (Like getting a job)... I just wasn't sure how to explain what i'm asking.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

I didn't think it sounded like you were trying to defraud "the system." Why not ask your ODSP person how it works/affects you? They'll know.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 PM

arabian is on a distinguished road

I agree with hadenough. You are feeling anxious about when and how you will be receiving your CS. Totally understandable. I'd want to know as well if I was in your situation.