Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2016, 07:58 PM

Bellbaby is on a distinguished road
Default Not heard from legal aid lawyer...

I served my respondent with my application August. His financials were due in September. I have yet to receive them. I was approved for legal aid. I contacted a lawyer. Spoke to him by phone, a week later met in his office. That was a week ago. The lawyer was to send a letter to my respondent to request the financials. The lawyer has not yet done that. I have not heard a thing about this letter or from the lawyer, except for our initial meeting a week ago. He has billed my legal aid certificate. Legal aid says I cannot change lawyers now.

My question is, is it typical for there to be this long of a delay, with a legal aid lawyer?

Should I file a motion for an uncontested trial and just move forward on my own?
Old 11-04-2016, 09:12 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Did the lawyer file a change of rep form? I believe this needs to be done before they can do anything else on your behalf. And a week's turnaround time is a bit unrealistic.

And if you haven't heard from him, how do you know thr letter was not sent...?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
Did the lawyer file a change of rep form? I believe this needs to be done before they can do anything else on your behalf. And a week's turnaround time is a bit unrealistic.

And if you haven't heard from him, how do you know thr letter was not sent...?

No, they never filed a change of representation firm that I know of.... I'm assuming they have not sent this letter. My respondent requested all service to be by email and the lawyer said he would copy me on any correspondence.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:42 AM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Call the lawyer to follow up. Send a letter as well. I fucking hate when lawyers do this. Like seriously why did you take the case in the first place when you don't even have time to piss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2016, 04:33 AM

Thank you trinton... Your reply made me feel better and reassured, in a way. In a "it's not just me" kind of way....It's so annoying. My respondent has been and will be very difficult so I really wanted to have a lawyer take over. I'm so nervous about self-reping but looking like it's going that way.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:38 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

I weeks turn around is not uncommon, maybe even more. You are not their only client and how do you know they didn't have things scheduled for this week before taking you on? I understand this can be frustrating but it's like this in every business. If you get a new doctor you can't expect them to push all their previous patients off to fit you in, if you hire a contractor you can't expect they would drop all other jobs they scheduled before you. A lawyer is no different.

I would give it some more time, a few more days at least before contacting the lawyer. Remember any correspondence you send the lawyer your certificate will be billed as well so don't jump the gun and waste your certificate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2016, 09:48 AM

Thank you, that's what I was unsure of... If this was a common or uncommon turnaround