Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014, 01:18 PM

nasa is on a distinguished road

Actually I have been trying to see them...But my former spouse is very passive aggressive, and will not negotiate on anything. I also fell into the trap of she has a lawyer, so I must need one also... This legal/family law world is very intimidating and the furthest thing from my area of expertise. My last lawyer was the one to suggest that I should self represent...something that I finally saw the light about in the last 6 months or so, and set about informing myself to the best of my abilities.
Part of my plan includes joint counselling to try and mend the relationship. I would not want sole custody, as that would just serve to hurt my former spouse. Mind you, If I found out that there is abuse of some form taking place, I would have no problem with asking for that.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:28 PM

Helpinghands is on a distinguished road

That's a good plan. If you show your intent to mend your relationship with your child courts will support that. How old is your child?

You best plan of action . In my opinion, should be starting slow with access and gradually increasing it as your relationship gets stronger with your child. Courts sometimes order supervised visits at a visitation Center where you will be observed with the child. Reading that ur ex is aggressive she will definitely play this card, so be open to it. Don't miss any access days and slowly but surely you can get to shared custody. Courts will always always encourage having equal time with both parents. If you can show that Dow whatever reasons u were not tere for two years, but are here now and want to be a part of your child's life it will be taken favourably.

I agree family court can he very intimidating but lawyers will suck you dry. If you think that you will be capable of handling all the paper work and standing in front of a judge and talking then it's the best way to go! However, this will work only if you have lots and lots of information. This forum is AWESOME and is filled with great advise and info . Take advantage of this and educate yourself as much as you can. Duty counsel at the court house are also there to help. Things will get batter for you but it will take patience and persistence from you and be ready for a lot if stress especially with a hostile ex.

Good luck!!!!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:31 PM

nasa is on a distinguished road

My children are 16, 14 and 12. Thanks for your advice and support.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM

Helpinghands is on a distinguished road

Oh so thy are old enough to have their say. I believe it's 12 yrs when a child has their own say. Do u know what they think about u? Are they even willing to meet with you . At this age they could be upset and and angry at you. I don't see this going in your favour due to their age. Wish u good luck!