Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 03:15 AM

OklahomaGal is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Is my USA divorce legal in ON??

I'm a US citizen engaged to a Canadian. My fiance lives in Ottawa and we'd planned to get married there in March/April.

I am previously divorced though and must obtain authorization from the minister of Government Services before we can be issued a marriage licence.

Here is the information surrounding my divorce.

-Aug 1993 my family moved to Farmington, New Mexico USA, San Juan County.

-1994 I graduated high school and started at a local college... I met my Ex there.

-We were married December 1995 and he entered into the US Military and left for bootcamp in Jan or Feb of 1996 and I did not see him again until he returned May of 96.

-May or June of 96 we were stationed at Ft Riley Kansas and lived in Manhattan Kansas... both in Riley County.

-Because of his abusive nature and threats to end my life, we seperated and I moved back home in October of 97.

-So October of 97 I moved in with my parents in Farmington New Mexico, San Juan County.. where we were originally married. I did not file for divorce right away and he visited a few times.

-Sometime between October of 97 and June of 98 my parents and I changed residence to Aztec New Mexico... Still in San Juan County though.

-Divorce was finalized June of 98 by San Juan County district court.

-I remained a resident of New Mexico another 6 years after the divorce.

Although we physically lived in Kansas because he was US Military we maintained residency in the state of New Mexico. IE we both retained state of New Mexico driver's licenses, vehicle registrations and I believe even filed taxes in New Mexico.. although I do not have any of these tax documents anymore.

Will my divorce be considered as legal? and if not what are my options? We considered getting married in the states but would have to go through the lengthy process of a fiance visa and have decided against that. We've also talked about getting married in a 3rd party country like Costa Rica or similar.... but it is very expensive and we don't have alot of money.

someone please help
Closed Thread