Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2016, 07:15 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

From what I gather from the poster he would be very happy to support his son if he was actually doing anything. Hes not. His ex collects the odsp and cs and kid sits at home doing nothing. Hes 19. How long do parents have to support their able bodied uneducated couch potato kids living with a parent on welfare? If his son wanted to complete school and get a degree OP would be right there to help. Ex and kid dont want him to. She keeps providing just enough info to keep the cash flowing. Hes failed to complete regular high school and is failing to complete a degree at alternative high school. OP is now going forward with an application to cease cs. Who knows, maybe kid will get his ass in gear. Maybe he will come live with dad and finish school. Maybe he will end up on odsp himself. Either way a judge will make the decision.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:25 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

You are probably correct Rockscan.
My son pulled one on me when he was younger. Son's college was paid in full and when my then-husband and I went on a trip to Brazil he dropped out. I was sooo pissed off (my g/f who was staying with him while we were away emailed me). I didn't even get a partial refund because he had dropped out after the deadline for refunds. Needless to say I sent an email telling him that he had better be working full-time by the time we returned or his ass would be out the door. To this day I remain very disappointed that he did not pursue post-secondary education.

Laws exist to protect and promote the best interest of the child. Sometimes the 'school of hard knocks' works best. Nevertheless it will be interesting to follow this poster's case through the court.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:40 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

This action may be the push this kid needs. Hes 19 and being held back by his mother. Im sure theres some psychological issues going on but again, hes 19. No one can make him do anything. Since his mother is being empowered to live this way by odsp and ongoing cs, theres no way this kid can get out. This action will force mom to be accountable and answer to someone higher up. Even if OP is made to continue to pay cs, at least the question about what is going on and what is the plan will be asked and hopefully a solution will be determined.