Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums (
-   Divorce & Family Law (
-   -   motion to change (

Cindy39 05-18-2017 04:02 AM

motion to change
I would like get in front of a judge for a motion to change but do not know how. We have been going to a lawyer for 3 years to do this and the lawyers are just stalling and costing big bucks. Last step was mediation which has not worked out. Can I just submit a form to the courts on my own to continue my battle to get a judge to make a ruling on my case without using a lawyer? Also does anybody know the approximate costs on a trial while representing myself? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Going to Jail 05-18-2017 09:37 AM

What do you want to change?

If you give more info about your case and your goals, you will likely get more helpful advice from this board.

Good Luck always.

Cindy39 05-18-2017 11:02 AM

This is a very confusing case but I will try to be brief. Motion to change child support and after 3 years of attempting this she has now been in university for 6 years and living on her own for 3, closer to the university as we are out of the area. We have had one case conference 2 years in, as they were not prepared for the first one. It has taken all this time to get all relevant expenses that are involved in the case as we were kept in the dark and when we questioned the section 7 expenses the ex wife would just submit it to FRO and they would automatically deduct it even though ex was not taking into account grants loans and such. Judge said to mediate, they are not willing to negotiate even though we have shown an overpayment of at least $50,000. Our lawyer is obviously into the stall tactics of the opposing lawyer...small town. From what I have read I think I need to go schedule another case conference but without my lawyer as I have spent enough on him and have gotten no results at all.

Cindy39 05-18-2017 11:03 AM

Does it cost money to schedule another case conference and if so does anybody know approx how much?

Going to Jail 05-18-2017 01:28 PM

Thank You.

In my opinion, you need a lawyer to proceed with your case.
Many lawyers will give you a free 30 minute consultation.
I would make 2-3 appointments for free consultations with different lawyers and give your file to the one who you trust the most to represent you.

Also be sure to discuss the costs you can expect, and the expected time frame to complete the motion.

Janus 05-18-2017 02:08 PM

Cindy, tell me if I have this correctly:

  • You are wife/girlfriend of father
  • Father pays child support
  • Child (only one) is in University, and has been in university for 6 years, so the child is taking a graduate degree.
  • You (or father) want to motion to stop child support
  • You have asked for receipts for university expenses, and have not received them.
  • You are with FRO, and FRO is getting receipts and just taking the money from the father's paycheck.
  • You don't really like your lawyer

Did I get anything wrong?

Janus 05-18-2017 02:14 PM

oh wait, you posted in another thread, with the full story :)

Sorry about that.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0