Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

View Poll Results: Do you believe the court system is biased against women or men?
Women 2 11.76%
Men 12 70.59%
Neither 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM

Olderdad is on a distinguished road

Separation 4 years ago, supervised access for six months once per week, then nothing. Requests go unanswered, and no orders to vary access allowed by court until costs are paid. Costs and support are exorbitant; support is based on imputted income that has never materialized.

I am a father, whose daughters are now 8 and 5. Their mother will never give in.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:25 PM

singledad99 is on a distinguished road

I am one of those very few fortunate men who have the custody of their children. Yet, whenever I am in the court for other matters I am treated like a criminal. My ex's lawyer bullies me around and makes up affidavits out of nowhere. There is a mountain of allegations against me including abuse, parental alienation, denial of access, coaching the child, you name it. No evidence, whatsoever, as they are all false. As a matter of fact, when OCL came aboard they found all the opposite was true. Despite the proven facts that the ex is mentally ill, is abusing the child emotionally and says negative things about me, I was told that reducing the access would be a tough sell.

I think family court is not helpful whether you are a man or woman. However, it clearly takes woman's side and tends to favour women whenever there is a dispute.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Kimberley is on a distinguished road

My first time around, I found the process useless and a waste of much needed money for my children. The second time around I think was much better due to first and foremost my representing myself, thus being able to know what was going on the entire time, and having control over what was being submitted to the court. Also, my ex's lawyer was actually (for the most part) quite reasonable and appeared to have informed him that his undue hardship claim would not get through, that if they made no offer to settle I would likely take it to trial and it would cost him not only his legal fees, but the court would very likely make him pay my 'costs' because he was being very unreasonable.

I think a lot of it comes down to the lawyers, whether they are just out for the almighty buck, and the judge who may have seen far too much bickering between parents to really care about his/her actual job anymore.
I think judges in family law should be required to take breaks from the bench so they stop burning out or becoming numb to situations.
Closed Thread