Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2016, 08:01 PM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Minor errors in affidavits

How big of a deal are these minor errors really? And should you be contacting your lawyer to correct them?

By way of example, if you mentioned in exhibit "X" of my affidavit, but really you meant exhibit "Y" of the applicant's affidavit

and if you referenced a wrong date, example you said your Wednesday visit on January 17th of 2013 but Wednesday wasn't on January 17th in 2013, etc.

do these minor things effect credibility? Is it worthwhile having these corrected?
Old 12-02-2016, 08:18 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

In my experience financial errors are important.

In order to retain credibility one would think that disclosure of the error, forthwith, would be prudent.

Minor errors in labeling exhibits are not important if the reference to the exhibit flows in your affidavit.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:18 PM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks, I will mention to him and will likely correct.

Financial never been a problem, always consented to child support, expenses, etc.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:15 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinton View Post
How big of a deal are these minor errors really? And should you be contacting your lawyer to correct them?

By way of example, if you mentioned in exhibit "X" of my affidavit, but really you meant exhibit "Y" of the applicant's affidavit

and if you referenced a wrong date, example you said your Wednesday visit on January 17th of 2013 but Wednesday wasn't on January 17th in 2013, etc.

do these minor things effect credibility? Is it worthwhile having these corrected?
You can fix these with an small update. Your lawyer just has to file and serve a letter with the corrections. No big deal. They don't effect credibility. I have read HUNDREDS of affidavits where I have to hunt around the tabs because it is scheduled wrong. It is annoying but, not an issue of credibility. Unless the schedule is not there and when asked can't be produced.

As well, I have read THOUSANDS of affidavits where people put the wrong day of the week with the wrong date. The date is what matters, not the day of the week you provided. Most judges can't juggle all the information and stick with the raw date. Unless there is a significant to the date like Monday is always the exchange date etc... But, usually people get those correct.

Trust your lawyer.