Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2016, 12:27 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

He has to advise her if there are any changes and hes planning to do that. Now that he knows he doesnt have to renew so much coverage because his cs obligations are almost over, hes not worried.

Although there was one clause I found interesting. He has to keep the insurance intact for a year after kids are eligible to cs. At least thats how I read it. So if kids are not eligible for cs or s7 school expenses, why does his estate have to pay them money? I get that they are his kids etc but the way theyre acting, hes been of the opinion he leaves them nothing. (Harsh I know but at this point thats more his hurt and disappointment talking...)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:00 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Life insurance is creepy stuff. Most people don't die young in Canada. So, when people argue over it... It feels like they are hoping the other parent dies.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
Life insurance is creepy stuff. Most people don't die young in Canada. So, when people argue over it... It feels like they are hoping the other parent dies.

Very true. I had to explain to him last night that its not worth him going into debt to insure his kids have an inheritance. He heard rumours at work of layoffs and now he's stressed. Under the agreement, insurance is to cover his support obligations not an inheritance. If his current insurance outside the agreement covers it he doesn't need to over extend himself so he can make his kids happy. He will be dead. Considering they could care less about him alive its ridiculous to do this. That was just my opinion though. He's making his own decision. Although when I said to him "you're worried about leaving $125,000 to a kid who says 'I already talked to you this month, leave me alone' when that monthly fee could go on the mortgage or in an rrsp for your future?" he saw the stupidity.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:18 AM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

A family lawyer I spoke to told me off the record, that it is quite common for older payers of SS and CS to simply let life insurance policies lapse. I can see this happening in the case of couples who divorce as seniors.

After all, what can they do to you once you're dead!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:53 AM

They can come after the estate. Which could get complicated.

When I was younger we had to make the difficult decision of cancelling the life insurance we had on my father. It was expensive for us since we lived on social assistance. We figured my father was hard drinking, eating, living so we would be cashing in sooner rather than later. Fast forward and my father is still kicking at 80. Saving that extra $40 a month was a good decision.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:28 PM

Bellbaby is on a distinguished road

If I want to request life insurance, after receiving my order for support, do I do that through a motion?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:41 AM

It would be part of your agreement. Im pretty sure that its an unenforceable clause. Take out your own insurance on him and stop worrying.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 AM

No agreement, court order. I think it's family law section 34(1) but need to figure out how to go about asking for it
Old 01-21-2017, 12:28 PM

You can ask for it but it doesnt mean it will happen. Thats why people will tell you to open your own policy on him.

Realistically, this a man who is adamant about not paying child support. You are going to waste your energy battling for a life insurance policy? Work on the cs first and then worry about the other details. Life insurance is a "nice to have" but hes disappearing to avoid cs.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:01 PM

That was what I was sort of thinking. I figured I'll get it into the order. I'm not actually expecting him to obtain it. But at least I'll have the order. This guy is 50 and Reckless. He states that he only plans to live till 60. I've never seen anything like it before. So now that the child support secured I'm expecting him to try to take me back to court to lower it. Or maybe he'll just pay. I'm thinking I'll leave it alone for a year and then when we go for the support adjustment I'll ask for it then. Sorry if any of this wordings off and using voice typing in my car as I drive. Is my Bluetooth though so I don't know how it's going to turn out grammar and spelling