Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 03:26 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

yes the sales people are very aggresive. They didn't bother me much after I gave then the fun-down on my situation at the time. They said it was a good thing I had a lawyer and that their services were not intended for my situation. I think the information off of this forum far exceeds the info you would get getting with that services (my opinion only)
Old 03-03-2014, 10:14 AM

stuckoncanada is on a distinguished road

I recently just looked into Legal Shield. Being in Ontario I can tell you that the whole province is covered by one firm out of Toronto.

The associates sell the "Legal Shield" contracts to consumers. You then get a 1 800 number to call when you need to speak to someone. A lawyer will call you back in up to a couple of days to address your inquiry.

The length of discussion a particular topic is decided by the lawyer not the consumer. You may call as many times as you like with different topics but if you are working a particular case and are self representing then you may not get all the help you need without hiring a lawyer outright.

They will refer you to a lawyer in you area at a discounted rate but that rate is determined by the lawyer. You can read the contract online from the Legal Shield web site.

Also note that the company is out of the USA and not local at all. They are friendly to talk to but unfamiliar with details of Canadian law, this is where you must sign a contract and speak with a lawyer.

They will review documents for you but you must send them away to the lawyer (out of town) and there is a limit to the number of pages they will review.

After my dealings inquiring with them and trying to get answers out of the Toronto Law firm's Legal Shield reps I decided to hire a local lawyer myself by the hour to assist me in getting my answer and forms ready.

I may consider Legal Shield in the future. My advice is to read the contract and contact Legal Shield Canada directly with your questions. I would not advise asking the local sales rep.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:33 PM

lulubuttons is on a distinguished road

We looked into it and it seems worth it.

If you do not have a will, they will do one for you as part of your membership. To me that's worth it right there.

Definitely not for every situation but it looks like it could work for us.