Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 01:03 AM

annapurna66 is on a distinguished road
Default Legal Shield...anyone heard of this?

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the company "Legal shield." My understanding is that you pay a monthly fee (average 30 dollars) for unlimited legal consultation over the phone. Includes family law lawyers. Too good to be true? 30 bucks a month seems like a steal considering the legal bills I have paid in the past. Just not sure if it is legit? Anyone know?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:10 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna66 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the company "Legal shield." My understanding is that you pay a monthly fee (average 30 dollars) for unlimited legal consultation over the phone. Includes family law lawyers. Too good to be true? 30 bucks a month seems like a steal considering the legal bills I have paid in the past. Just not sure if it is legit? Anyone know?
I had this for about a year through my employment... Paid half that price through them. We used them maybe half a dozen times and they were great. However I think it depends on what you can do on your own because they certainly don't do it all
Old 03-01-2014, 01:15 AM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Yes, I saw some pamphlets in my lawyer's office. Not sure if it was 'Legal Shield' or some other insurance company. I wonder if a divorcing person could qualify?

When applying for medical insurance they always ask questions like: do you smoke, drink, have any health issues? I would imagine that a divorcing person would constitute a high-risk candidate for legal insurance no? Would be worth it though when you consider the costs of going to court.

Last edited by Janibel; 03-01-2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2014, 01:21 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I recall going to a trade show once and there was a booth set up. I questioned the fellows about it, told them my situation (even though I did have a lawyer retained). They basically said it was, in my case, for that one-time first visit to a lawyer's office in terms of family law/divorce.

You get what you pay for. If you want to save money then get engrossed in the topic, perhaps hire a paralegal for help with forms, but go it yourself.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
They basically said it was, in my case, for that one-time first visit to a lawyer's office in terms of family law/divorce.
Heck, in my area anyone could get a FREE one-time consultation with a lawyer or at the very least 30 minutes. If it sounds to good to be true, chances are it is.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:43 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

30.00/month = 360.00 That's kind of standard for a first consultation isn't it?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:01 AM

I'm in another province, that would make a difference. Litigation is less expensive in Quebec (but takes for ever).
Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

That isn't exactly the way it works... as I said, we used it a few times. Basically it is like having a lawyer on the back burner. They are there to call and get advice, they will write a letter if necessary, but they won't spend hours and hours with you and they won't act like your lawyer to send countless letters to your ex. Obviously you are welcome to hire one of their lawyers if you wish, but it certainly isn't at at the $30 a month.

If you are self rep and just want advice now and again, they are worth it, but if you are looking for an actual lawyer to help you with forms and be there at every step, hire an actual lawyer.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:26 AM

annapurna66 is on a distinguished road

Awesome...thanks so much for all the helpful replies. . I am self rep. Am going to sign on...will let you all know how it goes in case you are also thinking of it.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

I'm acquainted with someone employed by Legal Shield and he's always urging me to sign on. I find them kind of pushy, like Amway, or those door to door switch energy company types. I'd never sign on, because I don't like that sort of pressure tactic. But I do have insurance, and that seems to be how it operates, so maybe I'm being overly reactive.