Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 01:15 PM

Sally911 is on a distinguished road
Default Legal Aid

hello group. ia m new and enjoy reading your posts.

i am going through a divorce and i have a legal aid lawyer. i am wondering how much he can do for me. he doens't seeem to have a clue from what i can see. i am not agreeeing to my lawyers recommendations to settle. my husbands lawyer has made an offer and my lawyer thinks it is good but i don't. does he have to listen to me or does he have to get permission to do anything that may cause us to go to trial? it seems that even though i am not paying formy lawyer my husbands lawyer is better even though he's paying a lot for him.

sally
Old 03-21-2006, 03:16 PM

Jenny is on a distinguished road

only a small percentage of cases go to trial and it might not be in your best interests to do that. I can't really say that you should or shouldn't take this deal( I don't have any details and even then it is something youhave to live with not me or your lawyer)

That said legal aid lawyers are often fairly busy and don't really have much time to devote to one particular case. Has your lawyer explained why she thinks you should take this deal?

Ultimately it is you that will direct your case. You can choose to take a deal or not.

Jenny
Old 03-21-2006, 09:25 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

The one thing to keep in mind about legal aid is that it only covers a certain amount of hours. Countless hours may be spent writting and reviewing correspondence and pleadings and attending case conferences. There may be very little time left to cover all aspects of your case ie trial.

The other thing about legal aid is that to receive same you have to request costs. This is mandatory.

If you are unsuccessful in your claims and are unreasoinable the other party may ask for costs and receive same against you. Because you are receiving legal aid courts have been known to ignore this consideration when awarding costs to a successful party.
Closed Thread