Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums (
-   Divorce & Family Law (
-   -   Lawyers referrals and court trials (

Cinderella 05-31-2017 08:09 PM

Lawyers referrals and court trials
Hello all
I am not glad too see many other in the same situation, as I am a being a strong advocate of marriage and family.
I am new in Ottawa and don't know almost anyone, as I moved last year from a different province.
I am looking for a good lawyer experienced in custody . I believe this is first step. I have two young kids S11 D7 and if possible I would like to be around them more than my spouse.
There has been some verbal and physical abuse towards me that I reported. I also have CAS involved.
I do not have anyone , any help is appreciated.
I am on EI, looking for a job but
In the spare time I read as many acts and regululations as i can.
Are the court hearings on family law public ? Can I attend ?
Thanks to all

arabian 05-31-2017 08:45 PM

Does the father of the children know where you are? Did you inform him of your move?

Does the father visit his children?

Cinderella 05-31-2017 08:58 PM

Father wants separation. We are living together . Everyday is almost unbearable , with verbal threats as he pleases. Yesterday he told me if i do not shut my mouth i will call police again , meaning he will hit again. Today he cooked for himself with music at max and dancing in the kitchen . Every night he is drinking more than he used to.
For my peace of mind i need to sort this as fast as I can
I know painful days will wait for me and kids but i need to start from somewhere and prepare at my best .

arabian 05-31-2017 09:24 PM

Why did you move?
Why did you move to Ottawa?
Is he the father of both of your children?
Are your children in school?
Do you regularly go to a place of religion (church, synagogue, mosque?)

SadAndTired 05-31-2017 10:12 PM

Call your local women's shelter. They will help you with safety, legal and financial issues.

Cinderella 05-31-2017 11:41 PM

I did , thank you. I have a two hrs legal advice free cert but not many (good) lawyers accepts it. I need a "veteran".
To qualify for long term legal aid means to put lien on the house and pay back when house is sold.
We came from west , alberta, downsized.
Yes , kids are in school . S11 and D7.
I would have loved to share kids time with my husband , he used to be my beat friend but for the past 2-3 years he is not himself. He has drinking and anger issues and this is the reason for wanting a good lawyer.
He abused me verbally and psihically enough to File 3 reports but with drinking i cannot prove . He had almost half of small whisky bottle tonight (Hence the dancing). I feel a bad person but i cannot be confortable with him picking up the kids and start drinking. For them is normal for daddy to drink and sing and dance, they don't know how much is enough .

Cinderella 06-01-2017 08:46 AM

We never went to church , husband does not entertain the idea . We sometimes read bible , me and kids. I think it would be easy for them to accommodate .

arabian 06-01-2017 09:50 AM

My questions were not to pin you down about your religion but rather to see if there were any places you might seek support.

Selling one's home to fund a divorce is pretty common. Legal Aid (funded by taxpayers) certainly would expect you to pay for your lawyer if you have the ability which you do have (equity in your home). If you were to hire a lawyer, without going through legal aid, they would expect the same thing.

I think you have to be honest with yourself at this time. You and your soon-to-be-ex (STBX) may not like each other. However, the animosity should not be a deciding factor with regards to child custody. Perhaps without you around the father will not drink as much? You should not, at any time, use your children as pawns to fight your ex. A good lawyer (not a crook) will go over this very carefully with you. Do not use your children as pawns to simply receive child support from your ex. If you are young and reasonably healthy the court would expect you to support yourself. You willingly moved from Alberta to Ontario, purchased a home together. This contradicts claims of abuse does it not? Were you forced to move? Were you forced to buy a home?

You have lots to think about. I'd recommend getting a job. There is no better payback than doing well for yourself and your children.

Cinderella 06-01-2017 12:27 PM

Arabian , you misunderstood. I am looking for a job more active than ever . All I want is a good lawyer to help me with custody . My intentions are never to put kids between us and I would never live or never lived on his money . I am smarter than that . Ones that find comfort in drinking is weak. It is not my call to judge him , it is my call to judge if kids are ok around him.
regarless , I appreciate the fast response and your opinion

So .. anyone can recommend a good lawyer?
Am I allowed to go to court to see other hearings ? Is it public ?

Thanks all and take care .

arabian 06-01-2017 01:15 PM

Yes you can go to some proceedings and observe. That is an excellent idea.
Good to hear you are actively looking for work.

If your husband drives impaired then simply call police (you have your husband's license plate and model of car). You can make an anonymous tip. I have a girlfriend who used to often leave golf course impaired. Her husband called police and she was arrested. At first she was angry (because he told he called police) but afterwards she was thankful as it gave her something to think about. You wouldn't want your husband killing someone else's kids.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0