Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road
Default Lawyers on Fixed Fees

Would a lawyer accept to take a case to trial and conclusion no matter what on the basis that there is a fixed max reasonable budget (10,000$) but they are obliged to properly represent all the way to a final hearing. Talking brampton type region....
Old 04-04-2017, 02:19 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
Would a lawyer accept to take a case to trial and conclusion no matter what on the basis that there is a fixed max reasonable budget (10,000$) but they are obliged to properly represent all the way to a final hearing. Talking brampton type region....
No. I have never heard of one that would. (One that is reputable and not a sham.)
Old 04-04-2017, 04:25 PM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Come on man you're hiring a Family Law lawyer - not a contractor to install a new kitchen and deck in your house. Though it would be nice if Family Law lawyers worked like contractors.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:20 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Though it would be nice if Family Law lawyers worked like contractors.
Do you mean the part where the Small Claims docket is filled with people suing their contractors for not doing the work? Or limited retainers?

Quote:
Would a lawyer accept to take a case to trial and conclusion no matter what on the basis that there is a fixed max reasonable budget (10,000$) but they are obliged to properly represent all the way to a final hearing.
Maybe, depending on:
- the issues/work involved
- if you are willing to leave the running of the case in their hands
- $10k isn't getting you through a trial, but if the number were higher - maybe.

If that is your budget consider trying to settle. Another option would be to find a lawyer who takes legal aid cases and see if they will maintain that rate for trial. You are not going to get the Cadillac but you might find the used Honda runs pretty well. Or is a lemon.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
Do you mean the part where the Small Claims docket is filled with people suing their contractors for not doing the work? Or limited retainers?
Neither really. Just a generalized statement. But to your question, lawyers (not all) accounts get assessed all the time. I could see those lawyers being on the docket list for not doing their work. Allow me to rephrase, if lawyers could set realistic expectations and know how much work is involved and how much it could cost, that would be great, instead of the whole yeah yeah you've got a case and a half $9000 and I'll get you all of this. $35,000 later the lawyer is still running around in circles trying to find her socks. That was just my old lawyer tho, I cut her final account in half. The new lawyers good - he's actually restored my faith in the legal profession.

Good cop, bad cop.

Last edited by trinton; 04-04-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:34 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Do you mean the part where the Small Claims docket is filled with people suing their contractors for not doing the work?
Quote:
Neither really. Just a generalized statement. But to your question ...
It was a joke.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:47 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Well I suppose it's great for a lawyer to give you a quote but how do you deal with that when the other side is unreasonable? If a trial should cost you $35,000 and the other side delays and delays and delays, you're going to owe your lawyer more because they have had to go to court a dozen times rather than the 2 trips is should have taken.

Compare again to a contractor. They quote you for a Reno but then open up your walls and discover a electrical nightmare, leaking pipes, unsteady supports etc, their price will go up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
It was a joke.
Yeah that one clicked in a little late.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
They quote you for a Reno but then open up your walls and discover a electrical nightmare, leaking pipes, unsteady supports etc, their price will go up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's their problem not yours. They either finish the job or you hire a new contractor to finish it and sue them for the difference. But that brings us back to this discussion we are already having. Would a lawyer.. yeah let's just stop going in circles.

Last edited by trinton; 04-04-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Obviously settling would be ideal but assuming the other party is just dragging out as much as possible what can a lawyer do to just get to trial and skip all the useless stuff. Most of the things you are saying Orleans are on the table (more money,. Manage the case, depending on complexity)