Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM

self-rep-leftie is on a distinguished road
Default Lawyer communication

Hello everyone- I must say this forum is wonderful resource!

Is there a standard of conduct a Lawyer must uphold with communication? I see info on lsuc website, but it seems specific on lawyer to lawyer issues.
I am self-represented Applicant trying to communicate with the Respondent's Lawyer, were they have sent me emails before, however I recently sent email correspondence to them asking for a prompt reply -to which there has been none.
What is the best approach to ensure the lawyer will respond to/acknowledge my communications? Is this lawyer bound by some code I can ask that they uphold?

Thanks for your time
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

You can ask for a prompt reply, but depending on the question, they don't have to.

A lawyer is obligated to act in a respectful manner. Acting in a respectful manner does not obligate them to reply to various emails or requests. Some clients instruct their lawyers not to reply to emails/letters from the other side without prior consultation. They may suggest to their client no response is warranted, or the client may suggest so.

Just because you send an email, doesn't mean the lawyer will respond. If it is important to the lawyer, or could have an adverse effect to their client (ie. a reasonable request for an adjournment), they will respond.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 PM

Thank you for the insight!
I have a file from a previous SCJ matter where I had representation, and it seemed as though both Lawyers were responding to a range of matters- it was the continual "I acknowledge receiving the email/fax" dialogue that had me thinking there was a greater bar being upheld!
Thank you,
Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM

takeontheworld has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I was self repped also and my ex was not. I found unfortunately they would respond to me whenever they felt like it. I was always very promt in responding, usually within a few hours or the next day depending on the issue. I became frustrated and the next time they needed something for me, I did not respond asap...I was also on vacation as well but I did have the capabilities to repond but chose not to. Five days later, his lawyer e mailed me again, in what I felt like, was threatening tone. He advised that if I did not sign the settlement agreement and get it back to him as soon as possible, his client was likely to reconsider what he was offering.

You could follow up but I doubt it would do much good. It seems like timely responses when a self rep is up against a lawyer is often one sided. From my perspective atleast.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:57 PM

thanks takeontheworld-
It's helpful to know others have been in a similar place 'n time, & found their way through it!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:17 PM

mememe is on a distinguished road

My ex has a lawyer that doesn't get back to my lawyer-----so, depending on the lawyer, there is no respect even amongst lawyers. 3 emails by my lawyer (that I pay for) to introduce himself--and the lawyer didn't response or get her secretary to respond. This was just the beginning---as my lawyer says--it is as though no one is reading emails on the other side.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:34 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

My ex's lawyer frequently didn't respond to things we had sent. I later found out that my ex was trying to save money and had instructed her lawyer not to bill her. Which meant she didn't action anything other than forwarding the document to my ex.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:21 PM

involveddad75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-rep-leftie View Post
Thank you for the insight!
I have a file from a previous SCJ matter where I had representation, and it seemed as though both Lawyers were responding to a range of matters- it was the continual "I acknowledge receiving the email/fax" dialogue that had me thinking there was a greater bar being upheld!
Thank you,
No they were simply racking up the chargeable fees. LOL
Old 03-19-2014, 03:24 PM

mememe is on a distinguished road

i am a little (or maybe a lot ) confused FB
The lawyer did not charge your ex for forwarding emails? I say hi to my law clerk/lawyer and I am charged a fortune. I don't think any of the lawyers I met would agree to that. I guess your wife is lucky she managed that.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:33 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe View Post
i am a little (or maybe a lot ) confused FB
The lawyer did not charge your ex for forwarding emails? I say hi to my law clerk/lawyer and I am charged a fortune. I don't think any of the lawyers I met would agree to that. I guess your wife is lucky she managed that.
I'm sure the lawyer charged her for receiving the letter. But wouldn't be charging her any "action' on the letter.