Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2017, 12:03 AM
Banned

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Judge orders lawyer to personally pay $100,000

Yes. You counted the zero's right. One hundred thousand dollars. This is further to this http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...92/#post221298

Quote:
A lawyer who was heavily criticized by a Superior Court of Justice judge for her role in a custody battle involving the Children’s Aid Society has been ordered to personally pay $100,000.
Quote:
Jonathan Richardson says a case where a Superior Court of Justice judge ordered a lawyer to personally pay $100,000 in costs is 'definitely unusual.'
Jonathan Richardson says a case where a Superior Court of Justice judge ordered a lawyer to personally pay $100,000 in costs is 'definitely unusual.'
The custody battle gained widespread attention earlier this year after Justice Grant Campbell ruled that two lawyers retained through Legal Aid, Brigitte Gratl and Jane McKenzie, provided incompetent counsel to their clients, the mother and father of a daughter who had been removed by authorities.
Quote:
The removal came after a Motherisk drug test on the mother, which has since been disproved, and led Campbell to decry the child welfare system in the province as “broken.”
Quote:
In the latest ruling on the case, Campbell ordered Gratl to personally pay $100,000, with $50,000 going to the Ontario Legal Aid Plan and $50,000 to the lawyer acting for the child’s mother, Julie Kirkpatrick.
Quote:
“Ms. Gratl’s tactic and strategy has caused an unnecessary duplication of effort of counsel, unnecessary extra court attendances and a significant consumption of court and counsel’s resources and taxpayer funding,” said Campbell, in his decision C.A.S. of the R.M. of W. v C.T. and J.B., 2017 ONSC 3188.
source: Judge orders lawyer to personally pay $100,000

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...7onsc3188.html
Old 06-14-2017, 11:43 AM

plainNamedDad44 is on a distinguished road
Default So you CAN sue a lawyer.

Thanks Triton, this seems to point to Rule 24(9) which provides some statute to sueing a lawyer.