Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 PM

Canuck1965 is on a distinguished road
Default I am dealing with a Misleading lawyer

Good evening all,

Couple of questions,

As I am self represented.

1. How does one fight a lawyer who has lied in order to drag out a case.

I have been trying to negotiate since Dec 16 2013 with this particular lawyer to no avail. So between Dec 16th 2013 and April 4th nothing heard from her. Then on April 5th after submitting a Motion to sell the matrimonial home I get correspondence from her, and during this correspondence she advises me that the delay was due to her major cancer surgeries, which have been on going since last year.

So we start to negotiate the offers that I have sent to her and my ex. As she has questions I answer them in good faith and then out of the blue I am told that she is closing her practice and now my ex has to find another lawyer, again more delays.

Question 1 - If she knew months ago about her surgeries would it not be ethical to have advised me and other clients of this?

Question 2 - Can I still keep the motion for the matrimonial home issues, that was set and that she had agreed upon back in April for May 1st, 2014. As now the ex has to find new counsel?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:57 AM

chapter2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck1965 View Post
Good evening all,

Couple of questions,

As I am self represented.

1. How does one fight a lawyer who has lied in order to drag out a case.

I have been trying to negotiate since Dec 16 2013 with this particular lawyer to no avail. So between Dec 16th 2013 and April 4th nothing heard from her. Then on April 5th after submitting a Motion to sell the matrimonial home I get correspondence from her, and during this correspondence she advises me that the delay was due to her major cancer surgeries, which have been on going since last year.

So we start to negotiate the offers that I have sent to her and my ex. As she has questions I answer them in good faith and then out of the blue I am told that she is closing her practice and now my ex has to find another lawyer, again more delays.

Question 1 - If she knew months ago about her surgeries would it not be ethical to have advised me and other clients of this?

Question 2 - Can I still keep the motion for the matrimonial home issues, that was set and that she had agreed upon back in April for May 1st, 2014. As now the ex has to find new counsel?

Sounds like my last lawyer. I had to contact the ULSC after months of unanswered emails/phone calls. She was quite quick to respond once the ULSC contacted her. She pretty much begged me to stay as her client and promised that she would make my case a priority (yes, I am gullable). That was in December 2013. In January I had settlement conference in which my ex failed to provide any financial disclosure but we went to court (yes I am naive) and although support and daycare fees were solved, there was not even a question regarding equalization because of his ignorance in provided FD.
Then my lawyer dropped the bomb that she's closing her practice. Apparently quite ill..

Now I am in a different city. The matrimonial home is sold. It is sitting in a real estate lawyers trust. I go in to sign paperwork, this lawyer says "ya, I guese your family lawyer is moving to BC". WHAT?

My ex and I used one lawyer for the sale of the home, he went in days before me to sign. So this is what I gather. He told the lawyer about my ex lawyer moving to BC because that's probably what his lawyer told him because thats what my ex lawyer and his lawyer were probably blabbing about while we were paying hundreds of dollars an hour while sitting in the lawyers lounge "settling".

I emailed my ex lawyer asking about her move to BC and her resposne was, "yes, may I ask how you found out?" I didn't respond I was just annoyed. I was feeling pity for her and her illness and here she's planning a cross country move! Guess my $$ helped her do that.