Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 10:35 AM

jlalex is on a distinguished road
Default How much longer!?!?

Hi all..I have a question..(what a surprise..lol)

I've been trying to divorce my ex now for almost 7 yrs, when we initially seperated there was a big custody battle, he tried to paint a pretty nasty picture of me..but after all was said and done we share joint custody primary residence with me. He was ordered to pay child support and spousal support ( I requested spousal support for 1 year at $200/month only so I could get up on my feet) and all the issues were to be revisited one year later.

He retained a different lawyer as he felt the other wasn't doing his job and the new one is worse than the old one! Every bit of correspondence when they *choose* to reply has incorrect information, wrong amounts, wrong dates etc.. In an effort to speed things up I even agreed to drop his arrears from 18000 to 4000 (which he racked up because he didn't bother working for 3yrs after getting laid off), well that plan backfired as that was almost 2 yrs ago and still we are no further ahead...

Is there anything I can do here?? I've been more than civil, I've never refused to let him see the children because I don't believe that he should pay for the privledge to see his kids but I'm about ready to pull my hair out! I only asked for the kids and I let him have everything else..there was no property to divide and not many assest..why is this taking so long. Can somebodies lawyer really drag this on and on with no recourse from the other side???

I don't care about the money, I just want this over once and for all!

Any advice would bee appreciated,

Thankyou
J
Old 02-09-2006, 07:41 PM

Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about

jlalex,

7 years!!! That's unbelievable. It is difficult for one to be able to move forward with their life, until all divorce issues are resolved. You can get a divorce without having settled monetary issues. It is called a split divorce.

You should have the support payments going through the FRO for them to enforce and have his wages garnished, assuming he is currently employed.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:22 PM

stephen givens is on a distinguished road
Default support payment

7 years I was under the impression that all seperation disputes have to go to trial in 3 years under the ontario family law act.Does your ex have the children just under the required amount of 40%.or not at all.Can you live without the support payment or reduce it to advance this to trial in order to get a quick and comfortable settlement.Men see the support payment for there children in several different ways.One the person paying the support pays all taxes on this money and this is determined on his gross earnings with no tax relief.The spouse whom collects the support is truly tax free money.Try offering a settlement in a totally off gaurd way.Drop the arrears and see were he is comfortable paying.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:18 PM

Tim is on a distinguished road

Wow 7 years, thats incredible to survive that long. I agree with Grace though, his wages should be garnished for this period.

Good luck with your ordeal, I hope you get through it soon
Closed Thread