Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 08:59 AM

Mommy2 is on a distinguished road
Default How do you equlize?

I have looked equalization up on line, and there seams to be no simple way to this....

The ex wants to keep the house (and everything in it) wants half of my RRSP aprox 20,000

The ex spent his RRSP on legal fees (I'm not sure if he spent it, will it still be counted as a fund that should have been split?)

He wants the black book value of the car we purchased and fully paid for together (he says black book value is 1500, I traded the junky car in and got a trade in value of 300)

No debt other than the house.... How do I even start to sort through this mess of numbers?? Is there any easy way to figure it out? Do I have to go through court and lawyers to make sure it's done right?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:22 AM

North of 40 is on a distinguished road

I had my lawyer use a software program.

Ultimately, various fees will be deducted.. for example real state fees etc.

In reference to the cars; mine was Black Book. So an high end car might be worth 60k new but isn't worth much in 5 years.

House/debt rrsp's etc..are valued from Sep date.

Hope this gives you a bit of an idea.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:31 AM

drainedbysystem is on a distinguished road

Call the lawyer referral service and they will be able to assist you with finding a lawyer in your area. You can even get a free consultation and ask questions.
1-800-268-8326.

There are many options. Court should be your absolute last resort. Its very expensive.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 AM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

I used a simple spreadsheet. One column for each of you.

The Matrimonial Home is an asset that is split 50/50. Come up with the final value (the amount of money that would be split if it was sold, after fees etc), and assign each person half.

Put the Net Value of each personal asset in the column. I use the comments feature to document how you came to that number. If the asset was owned prior to the marriage, then you need to document the value as of the date of marriage and the value as of the date of separation.

The car for example, should be the actual price you sold it for not the Black Book. Black book numbers assume a certain level of condition.

Total everything up. One number will be higher than another. Then subtract the lower number from the higher. That is the amount required to equalize.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:29 AM

Mommy2 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the responses, I'll have to try a spread sheet and have it reviewed by a lawyer... I hope we can avoid court, but knowing the ex it's unlikely.