Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 AM

zanman is on a distinguished road

I can't express again how much I value the support and advice everyone on this board provides.

Thanks again and I'll keep everyone updated
Old 12-14-2016, 05:33 PM

sahibjee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
I would drag the negotiations on for as long as possible to waste your ex's money and but always refuse at the end. This is war.

Try not be such a loser, you owe the tramp nothing. I encourage my ex-wife to find a new boyfriend to pay for her, you should do the same.
according to OP the ex is making 20k, I bet she is on legal aid and thats why she is bringing this up ... it does not cost her a dime to do so.

I agree with dragging it on, the more time passes before she brings the leeching lawsuit the better for OP, the judge will ask her from the onset what stopped her from bringing an application, specially while she had a lawyer.
I speak from experience as I served my ex a motion for final order, she decided not to show up and a year later took me to court to set the order aside stating that she was never served and wasn't aware of the order, I showed the judge the emails i sent her confirming that I have served her, and also that of the final order. The judge didn't buy her argument and her lawyer got a scolding for being an idiot (I was self reping).

Another thing OP, if the order does end up getting set aside, i'd advise to relook at your child support, based on the income you stated above it seems like you are over paying a bit (unless that amount includes section 7). but for now drag it on
Old 12-15-2016, 10:31 AM

Thanks everyone

I was wondering if an email I received from her also this year indicating that she will not seek spousal support as we previously agreed if I continue to leave her on my benefit plan would mean anything. do emails stand up ?
Old 12-15-2016, 11:03 AM

sahibjee is on a distinguished road

yes it will, have it printed and ready to go. I used email evidence many times, according to the latest modified ontario family law forms email is also a valid form of service with court's permission.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:30 AM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanman View Post
Thanks everyone

I was wondering if an email I received from her also this year indicating that she will not seek spousal support as we previously agreed if I continue to leave her on my benefit plan would mean anything. do emails stand up ?
First, check with your benefits provider (I assume you receive benefits through work?) whether they will agree to cover ex-spouses after divorce. Most will not. In other words, for her to continue on your benefit plan, you may have to stay married.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Yes they do ,
Ya I was just going through old emails because her Lawyer said she never fully signed off on spousal. So I found and email even from this year saying that she would not seek spousal like we prev agreed if I leave her on my benefits.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:37 PM

I would like to see people thought on the process of dragging this out , I agree my agreement has issues like all probably do and its far from perfect , does anyone see issues whether I should make some amendments to the new agreement that the Lawyer keeps sending me in order of dragging this out. I emailed him back with things I did not like nor did I agree with and made some suggestions. ? Just want to know if you think I should just stop all together?

I value every ones opinion on here just wanted to know every ones thoughts on this.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:54 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Wait, you can't act if your agreeing to an agreement in principle by nitpicking on detail and then later reject the entire deal because of the details. That's bad faith.

YOu need to keep channels of communciation open and just keep saying NO without saying "Discussion Over" take me to court.

Also, are you divorce or seperated?

I think you can keep people on your benefits until divorced?

Careful though, if you agree to keep her on your benefits and for some reason you can't you might be indirectly agreeing she needs support and nobody cares if it costs you nothing or if you are paying.... get it?
Old 12-20-2016, 03:49 PM

We are only separated
Yes I have no issue with letting the lawyer knowing my concerns with this new agreement he sent. But what I have issues with is that they want spousal and that is why this is all happening and he is trying to do a whole new agreement and wants all this financial stuff.

I'm concerned if I keep talking with him in regards to a new agreement does it make me look like I'm admitting that the old one is null and void.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:35 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Until you sign an agreement the discussions you have with the opposing party or confidential.

Don't overdo the the waste their time thing.....