Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2017, 06:43 PM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by involveddad75 View Post
I don't think that would be a good idea. Remember custody is about decision making. Someone can be informed and make decisions from anywhere in the world.
For example: People in the military who are deployed constantly have to make decisions about their children from a distance.

I would go back and seek a chance in access, but not necessarily sole custody unless their is a history of issues.
That is under the assumption that you have joint custody? If yes, then yes keep joint and seek primary residency.

If you don't have joint and mom is seeking to move then you may as well seek sole custody. I guess you could seek joint an sole as an alternative.

Moms always go to court and seek sole. I don't see why dads don't. I think we fathers need to grow some sometimes. What we are not able to raise a child without input from mom? What input would we want from someone that is going to destroy access to our child and move the child all the way across the globe?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 09:09 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinton View Post

Gordon v Goertz provides that the parent who wishes to move must prove that it is in the best interests of the child that the move happen. Part of the test is whether or not you will facilitate the other parents parenting time.

But moving without permission is a big no-no. Some parents get away with moving without permission mainly because the other parent sits on their hands to long and allows status quo to be established.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:48 PM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDad View Post
Gordon v Goertz provides that the parent who wishes to move must prove that it is in the best interests of the child that the move happen. Part of the test is whether or not you will facilitate the other parents parenting time.

But moving without permission is a big no-no. Some parents get away with moving without permission mainly because the other parent sits on their hands to long and allows status quo to be established.
That's not exactly it. It is often the court delays that causes that too happen. Mom moves, and by the time the case get's to trial, child is already in new residence and well adjusted. And to add to that, often the moms will appeal the decisions and delay even more.

I personally don't think that any developments or status quo to the responding parties advantage throughout the delay of court proceedings should be used against that parent. But I also personally feel that the courts shouldn't be taking so long to resolve family law cases. Every case should be set for trial if not settled within 3 months.

I think what we can take back here from this thread is to make sure your agreement imposes a sanction against the mom moving with the child out of the region of residence, or past 20KM of where you live.

Which begs the question, if your order mentions nothing about moves, does the other parent still need to obtain a courts permission? Would they not be alienating you by impeding your regular access if they moved anyways (under the assumption that they move very far) Especially unilaterally in the middle of a court proceeding?

Last edited by trinton; 01-27-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:54 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinton View Post
That's not exactly it. It is often the court delays that causes that too happen. Mom moves, and by the time the case get's to trial, child is already in new residence and well adjusted. And to add to that, often the moms will appeal the decisions and delay even more.
I again quote HammerDad:

Quote:
Some parents get away with moving without permission mainly because the other parent sits on their hands to long and allows status quo to be established.
If a parent has moved the children's habitual residential location in contravention of a court order, agreement or without consent of the other parent the court will act if a urgent motion is brought. Courts do not delay on the matter. The clock of the move immediately stops when the left-behind parent files with the court. So any time accumulated from the start of the application / motion is not counting against the left-behind parent.

If you read my threads on mobility (which I am overly versed in) you will see that Justice Pazaratz has issued a STRONG WARNING to parents who fail to bring the matter to courts in a timely manner. If you don't bring the matter to court in the first six months of the move then you are going to have a problem. Do it before that and you wont... Just as the parent in this matter didn't have a problem.

If a parent sits on their hands for 6+ months then they have an uphill battle in court. That is because the court doesn't credit "time spent" from the date of bringing the application/motion. It would be easy to appeal a matter for which the passage of time was granted on court delays.

Good Luck!
Tayken