Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 PM

Epona is on a distinguished road
Question "Forward-Looking" child support...

How common is it that child-support is based on what the payors income will be as opposed to what it was?
My ex wants to base his child support payments on what he anticipates his income to be, instead of what it was (the traditional, child support based on income of previous year's tax return).
He wants child-support to be "forward-looking not rearward-looking".
Also, does anyone have an annual reconciliation of "Over/Under Payments"? What my ex wants makes no sense to me -- it's very confusing and I have no clue what he's after.
(Not referring to changing child support and proportionate shares annually)
Thx! :-)
Old 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM

ConcernenedStepMom78 is on a distinguished road

Epona I have NEVER heard of child support be based on earnings someone is "going" to make thats like saying I am "going" to win that 61 million lotto max jackpot. Worst case scenario if a parent loses employment they can still be made to pay support based off their "potential" earnings. BUT thereis always that other factor ...IF you agree to an amount.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:20 PM

billm is on a distinguished road

It does not sound that confusing - he wants to base it on what he thinks he will make this year, and then adjust via lump sum or monthly changes after he finds out what he actually did make. In the end, he will be paying CS based on what he makes, and that is all that matters.

It is though, a strange way to do it, and also it allows him to set his support payments (until he corrects his over/under payment). The over/under payment will cause strain as well probably.

To me there seems to be too many reasons not to do it this way, and no reason to do it this way. Ask him why he wants to do it this way (rather than simply adjust yearly based on previous year tax return).

If it does not work for you, you are being completely reasonable in my opinion to say, no thanks, lets just do it the way most people do it.
Closed Thread