Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums (http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/)
-   Divorce & Family Law (http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   Father locks son out from home (http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f3/father-locks-son-out-home-21269/)

Where is the Light 08-17-2017 10:11 AM

Father locks son out from home

I am in Ontario Canada. 10 months ago my ex had our children/teens go live with him. Children wanted to live with him because he told them is was the easier going parent. They did not respect my simple rules. Life has gone crazy at ex's house with his EASYGOINGNESS. Ex had to install cameras etc to keep teens from sneaking out of his house to do drugs/drink/vape. Now he is not prepared to deal with the newer troubles they are getting into.

He kicked his 17 year old special needs child out from his home. I am not close by my own home right now. Trying to keep this story short without getting into where is our son now that he is kicked out etc, can ex just kick him out and lock his door and change garage code at age 17?

Anyhow know about such laws in Ontario Canada?

Many thanks.

OrleansLawyer 08-17-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

can ex just kick him out and lock his door and change garage code at age 17?
You can kick your children out at 16.

If the child is special needs that can add a separate complexity to it - it depends on whether they are high functioning, et cetera.

LovingFather32 08-17-2017 12:51 PM

Yes, OL is correct, you can kick your kids out at 16. When there is a mental illness involved there are indeed additional complexities. Some laws consider it neglect or abuse. If individuals with a mental illness (with or without co morbid issues such as addiction) enters crisis mode (including behavioral, risky behaviors, etc), the proper medical personnel should be called upon .. they should "not" be thrown in the streets.

As OL also mentioned, there are many levels/degrees of functionality. The spectrum for instance is literally that .. a huge spectrum and the DSM places disorders based on symptom cluster designs. Many end up on the PDD-NOS (Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified), which basically means they have different combinations of symptoms but don't actually meet a cluster.

For certain there should be an emergency plan put in place, equipped with phone numbers and assistance, if the teen is low functioning and frequently engages in risky behaviors. If it's just rebellious teen behavior and the child is high functioning .. it is what it is.

rockscan 08-17-2017 01:10 PM

I think its also important to point out that this kid has been behaving poorly for a while. Your punishment was to kick him out. Your ex's punishment was to kick him out as well. Perhaps there isnt so much a personality issue as your kid is poorly behaved. Has he requested to come back to your house? Has he talked to you both about his behaviour?

At some point you also have to set some boundaries and expectations on behaviour. Punishments with this kid dont work.