Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014, 05:08 PM

MrToronto is on a distinguished road
Default F.R.O and OVER SUPPORT when CS TERMINATES

Family Responsibility Office does not "claw back" or garnish wages on OVER SUPPORT from the support recipent when child support ends (i.e adult child out of post secondary)..if your in a situation and your confused on why a support recipient is foot dragging ending support ...thats why......Contact the FRO if your in this situation..they'll need information ..like termination date...ages kid(s)...from the payor (you) and they'll with hold support payments (put in escrow) until they contact and recieve info from support reciever who has 20 days to refute.
If your pro active enough it may save you sitting in small claims court (max you can sue for there is 25K) trying to put a lien on your ex's house....just sayin
Old 04-11-2014, 09:45 AM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrToronto View Post
Family Responsibility Office does not "claw back" or garnish wages on OVER SUPPORT from the support recipent when child support ends (i.e adult child out of post secondary)..if your in a situation and your confused on why a support recipient is foot dragging ending support ...thats why......Contact the FRO if your in this situation..they'll need information ..like termination date...ages kid(s)...from the payor (you) and they'll with hold support payments (put in escrow) until they contact and recieve info from support reciever who has 20 days to refute.
If your pro active enough it may save you sitting in small claims court (max you can sue for there is 25K) trying to put a lien on your ex's house....just sayin
That is not true.

In my case, my son left his mother's place and moved in with me. I paid CS for him, but filed immediately with FRO for relief. It took three months for them to finally settle it (because my ex refused to talk to them) but in the end they informed her that my next payment would be minus the overage I paid, so in effect I paid almost zero (I have 3 kids) for CS, and paid the regular SS.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 AM

paco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
That is not true.

In my case, my son left his mother's place and moved in with me. I paid CS for him, but filed immediately with FRO for relief. It took three months for them to finally settle it (because my ex refused to talk to them) but in the end they informed her that my next payment would be minus the overage I paid, so in effect I paid almost zero (I have 3 kids) for CS, and paid the regular SS.
I'm just wondering, is there a legal age when a child can decide either where he/she wants to live?

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco View Post
I'm just wondering, is there a legal age when a child can decide either where he/she wants to live?

In my case it was easy, he was 19.

In trials over custody, 14 is the age where the child's wishes will be listened to very carefully, but even before that the child's wishes can be a factor.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:10 AM

paco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
In my case it was easy, he was 19.

In trials over custody, 14 is the age where the child's wishes will be listened to very carefully, but even before that the child's wishes can be a factor.
What about after trials, let's say one parent gets sole custody and then after years one child decides that he/she doesn't want to live anymore with CP, what's the age they're allowed to make such decision, 14 or lower?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco View Post
What about after trials, let's say one parent gets sole custody and then after years one child decides that he/she doesn't want to live anymore with CP, what's the age they're allowed to make such decision, 14 or lower?

After a trial or a signed separation agreement, unless the agreement or order has a provision, you would need to amend the order/agreement. If you didn't have consent and needed to take it to trial to trial, at 14 the judge would strongly consider the wishes of the child.

You may want to look at some cases to get a feel for what happens when they are under 14, it isn't a hard and fast rule then.