Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2015, 01:01 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Can you find out where they went? Take your file to that lawyer?
Old 06-04-2015, 01:16 PM

mcj2012 is on a distinguished road

I asked the question and they said. All we can say is that she is no longer with the firm. Lovely!
Old 06-04-2015, 01:21 PM

nfc4ever is on a distinguished road

She might have a non-compete agreement in place with the firm, so she can't call you and ask you to be her client, but you can call her and ask her to take on your case.

Still if she's still practicing she should appear on the provincial law society's listing of lawyers - there's a chance that she's updated her contact info. Also do you have a cell phone number for her? Some have their own cell, some use cells provided with the firm.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:30 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

If you want to find your old lawyer, go here:

The Law Society of Upper Canada

Or simply google them and see if they show up at another law firm.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:15 PM

No luck locating her. Too bad I was with her for over a year.

Any thoughts on whether or not I should retain a new lawyer. They are giving me the senior lawyer at the firm, however they said "until further notice" which tells me they may change her again if she is too busy. I hear she is taking on many of my previous lawyers case, so when will she fit in my case??

Also, my previous lawyer was recommended and was not local. Maybe this is an opportunity to change lawyers to someone that local. That would mean starting over. What a pain, Not sure what to do??
Old 06-05-2015, 02:27 PM

nfc4ever is on a distinguished road

Your file should be transferrable to another firm. You should have a copy of everything that your lawyer has filed on your behalf. If it was a simple retirement, or moving to another city, you would have been told. So I'd still check for your lawyer over the next couple of weeks.

Until further notice means, that if they replace your lawyer with someone else, then the someone else would likely take over your case.

Yes, this would be a great opportunity to seek a lawyer local to your court.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:09 PM

Just an update on this. I have been offered a junior lawyer at the firm and I hesitate. I am now looking for a local laywer and one with more experience. Now that I am currently in lawyer transition.

Can someone help or offer advice on this..

Decided to celebrate fathers day the past weekend as u know from this thread ex reneged on her approval. Kids made me a breakfast in bed was very nice and we did all the things that were planned for this weekend festivities. Next day kids go home to the ex. In tears because they are still upset about not seeing me on the actual day. My daughter said its a reminder to her that her life is so different from her friends. Spoke with my daughter calmed her down and all is well for now. Ex of course is pissed off says I am putting this emotional strain on the kids because I decided to celebrate the occasion the past weekend. The truth is it was my daughters idea because she said she was going to miss me. What was I suppose to do?. I think my ex realized at that moment that my kids have a strong relationship with me. This angered her and now not only does she want to pull fathers day she claims that she is rethinking my 15 day summer vacation with the kids! Are you kidding me! I knew our court case was going to bring up some bad blood but this is ridiculous.

I currently do not have a lawyer. But can someone tell me what i need to do at the court house to fix this? I have her email approval will they accept that? Can I enforce this viacation via an order?

Any suggestions are helpful. I think I am past writing formal notes to her. She is not a very reasonable person. I Have 2 mths before I leave for this trip. HELP!

Last edited by mcj2012; 06-16-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:16 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I think you may be having a jerk-shock reaction to everything. I could be right and I could be wrong - remember we are all nameless faces on the internet.

Step back and realize that there is much ADO about the "hallmark" celebrations of life - Father's Day, Mother's day, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc. You have to put everything into perspective. These "days" were created for the single purpose of letting retail places make moolah money. A perfect example of this is our society which celebrates Christmas by people who have never walked into a church.

So my advice is to chill and let things settle for a bit. It is a good thing that you haven't had to make use of a lawyer yet.

BTW - the next "big" Hallmark celebration is Thanksgiving I believe so all you have to do is get through the Father's Day mania. Keep it all in perspective is my advice.

Divorce/Separation is a life-changing event that puts people at their very worst. Recognize this and perhaps cut your ex some slack and regroup and reorganize?

Last edited by arabian; 06-16-2015 at 11:20 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 06-16-2015, 11:23 PM

I couldn't agree more on the commercial side of these occasions. Waste of money. I had already accepted thst she reneged my custody time on fathers day. I suppose I can wait a week and see if she truly means to sabatoge my vacation with the kids and see if she calms down. I would just hate for her to pull that custody time from me again at the 11th hour as my vacation has been paid.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:28 PM

I guess at the end of the day I am getting tired of the "yes you can have the kids this day" then " change my mind I am pissed at you can't have them"

Can I get a court order on thse kinds of things?