Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014, 02:17 PM

Mother is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Equal Shared Parenting

Sorry guys, I am posting it here as I don't have time to search for the previous thread on the topic.

Here is what I just received from Maurice Vellacott via email.

S031 - Equal Shared Parenting - Jan. 31, 2014

Mr. Speaker, I have had a difficult decision to make. I have 4 items on the Order Paper, and all of great importance. Two of the motions are explicitly pro-life measures, one is a democratic reform initiative, and the one bill I have on the order paper is for the sake of the children. They all deserve to proceed in this place, but regrettably I can only choose one at this time.

I have selected Bill C/560 to move to 2nd reading debate in this Chamber. It is my bill to amend the Divorce Act to make equal shared parenting a rebuttable presumption on cases of marital breakup involving children.

Aside from proven abuse or neglect, over three quarters of Canadians want equal shared parenting to be the presumption in our courts when marriages unfortunately break down. Research clearly demonstrates that equal shared parenting is in the best interest of children.

Also based on conversations I have been a part of, I have good reason to believe that the other 3 items I have on the order paper will be picked up in due course by other good MPs who have spine and foresight. And for that I am truly grateful!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My P.S. - Why copy-paste is not working?

Last edited by Mother; 01-31-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:29 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother View Post
Sorry guys, I am posting it here as I don't have time to search for the previous thread on the topic.

Here is what I just received from Maurice Vellacott via email.

S031 - Equal Shared Parenting - Jan. 31, 2014

Mr. Speaker, I have had a difficult decision to make. I have 4 items on the Order Paper, and all of great importance. Two of the motions are explicitly pro-life measures, one is a democratic reform initiative, and the one bill I have on the order paper is for the sake of the children. They all deserve to proceed in this place, but regrettably I can only choose one at this time.

I have selected Bill C/560 to move to 2nd reading debate in this Chamber. It is my bill to amend the Divorce Act to make equal shared parenting a rebuttable presumption on cases of marital breakup involving children.

Aside from proven abuse or neglect, over three quarters of Canadians want equal shared parenting to be the presumption in our courts when marriages unfortunately break down. Research clearly demonstrates that equal shared parenting is in the best interest of children.

Also based on conversations I have been a part of, I have good reason to believe that the other 3 items I have on the order paper will be picked up in due course by other good MPs who have spine and foresight. And for that I am truly grateful!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My P.S. - Why copy-paste is not working?
Private Member's Bill - Bill C-560 - First Reading (41-2)

I've been following this but it's the first time I've actually read the bill.

Some interesting changes, for the better IMO

Quote:
1. (1) The definitions “custody” and “custody order” in subsection 2(1) of the Divorce Act are repealed.

(2) The definitions “corollary relief proceeding” and “divorce proceeding” in subsection 2(1) of the Act are replaced by the following:

“corollary relief proceeding” means a proceeding in a court in which either or both former spouses seek a child support order, a spousal support order or a parenting order;

divorce proceeding” means a proceeding in a court in which either or both spouses seek a divorce alone or together with a child support order, a spousal support order or a parenting order;

(3) Subsection 2(1) of the Act is amended by adding the following in alphabetical order:

“parenting” means the act of assuming the role of a parent to a child, including custody and all of the rights and responsibilities commonly and historically associated with the role of a parent;
Replacing custody order with parenting order is a great first step.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:30 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

I can't back any motions this member makes, given his pro-life stance. Thank Gawd he's not running for the next term.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:35 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
I can't back any motions this member makes, given his pro-life stance. Thank Gawd he's not running for the next term.
So you are judging a book by it's writer instead of content?

There is no "Pro-Life" in the bill, if you read it.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:36 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If that were the only way to look at it, it would be hard to vote for anyone.

Its entirely possible that he could be right on one issue, and wrong on another.

I've only voted for one political party in my life. Yet I have good friends in all the parties (party activists included). And sometimes I agree with them, sometimes I don't. They still remain valued friends.

I have a friend who is a pro life activist who moved from the conservative party to the liberal party because of some issues with economic policies. he has fewer people in the liberal party who agree with his pro life stance, but he is comfortable with his decision.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:04 AM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So you are against everything he does, including something you would otherwise support, because of another unrelated position?
Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

Just a thought - if we intertwined every issue with other issues, we'd never be able to cast our vote!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:47 PM

AnarX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow! Your marriage must not have been all that bad.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:39 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Pastor Vellacott is part of a small faction of Conservative backbenchers that are motivated by an extreme social conservative agenda - like making homosexuality a crime, teaching creationism, and ending abortion.

He would direct legislation to constantly ensure that the roles of women and children within a family unit would remain subservient to those of men. Imo, none of the policy he produces is going to be based on the principal of equality.

I’ve had the opportunity to work in community groups with another backbencher MP, who shares the above views, and interestingly enough happens to also have a current motion requesting the re-evaluation of the recognition of human life [Vellacott dropped his abortion bid, to focus on parenting - he knew he had a backbencher coming in to refocus on the abortion debate again].

So, yes FB, I have judged that book.

Quote:
Yet I have good friends in all the parties (party activists included). And sometimes I agree with them, sometimes I don't. They still remain valued friends.
DTD, with respect, the above individuals would never be a friend of mine, due to the reasons set out above.

Quote:
Just a thought - if we intertwined every issue with other issues, we'd never be able to cast our vote!
As a mother of a young daughter, I will not ever vote for a candidate (nor support any of their motions) who is so extremely far from representing my views on the most important issues. And I do hope, as an adult, our daughter will share those same social accountability standards when she votes.

Quote:
So you are against everything he does, including something you would otherwise support, because of another unrelated position?
Hammer, his social agenda doesn’t help, but frankly I’m not sure I’m convinced that presumptive equal parenting is in the best interest of the child.

Quote:
Wow! Your marriage must not have been all that bad.
Did you have a question, or was that just a random drive-by comment?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:23 AM

Mother is an unknown quantity at this point

mcdreamy, you have your opinion and you have every right to have it. I respect it. No one is trying here to convince you to vote for Vellacott or become his friend.