Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 PM

informedmom is on a distinguished road
Default Double-dipping with FRO - Help please!

My husband's ex has sent over $600 into FRO that were already sent in and paid for. My husband sent his paperwork into FRO to show the expenses were already paid and FRO told my husband that he was right and that she did make the same claims twice but that they couldn't do anything about it. They advised my husband to get a letter from his ex stating that the expenses were claimed twice. They also told him that if she didn't get a letter from her, there was nothing they could do about it.

Any advice on what to do?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by informedmom View Post
My husband's ex has sent over $600 into FRO that were already sent in and paid for. My husband sent his paperwork into FRO to show the expenses were already paid and FRO told my husband that he was right and that she did make the same claims twice but that they couldn't do anything about it. They advised my husband to get a letter from his ex stating that the expenses were claimed twice. They also told him that if she didn't get a letter from her, there was nothing they could do about it.

Any advice on what to do?
Were these expenses that she already submitted to FRO and FRO collected on or are they expenses your husband paid her directly? If he paid her directly and not through FRO, you are most likely SOL unless you go back to court and get an order stating the overpayment. It is not very likely she will agree to the letter, thus court may be the only option. The issue being, you will spend more than $600 in court, so it is really not worth it. Lesson learned would be, don't pay the ex directly.

If these are expenses already submitted to FRO and collected by FRO, I would think this is more of a FRO issue, as they are not enforcing the expenses correctly.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 PM

informedmom is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your reply.
Most of the expenses were paid to her prior to FRO's involvement. She submitted the expenses as arrears but we have proof of payment through cashed cheques with a notes on them relating it to the expense.

One payment was collected twice from FRO because she submitted the expense twice.

FRO told us there isn't anything they can do unless she provides the letter.

Oh yeah, the sticky point is, she works in the Family Court system and knows the loop holes and how to get around them.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:51 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Well I wish we knew the " loopholes". Perhaps you can find them all out and share them. FRO has certainly shown no backbone in many cases and their inefficient lazy staff don't seem to care. There system is outdated and their logic flawed. Oh how I am ranting! Anyway, Have you faxed a letter with the attached receipts as proof of payment to FRO. I find its the best way to deal with them. Paper is their driving force. Telephone calls do not seem to get very far.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:55 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Your husband should find out the appropriate steps to take to file an official complaint to FRO. Most government agencies require a written complaint before they will look into the matter.

Your husband should write a letter to FRO, enclose the proof of double payment, and politely point out the oversight. This may time some time but I believe most Provincial maintenance enforcement agencies are obligated to respond to a written complaint.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 PM

Laughingstock is on a distinguished road

Yes unfortunately FRO is easily manipulated like that.
Same thing happened to me.
If your ex will not co-operate and sign off to FRO that you did indeed pay her, FRO can't reimburse you.
You have to go through court to get it reimbursed.
If I were you, I would retain a lawyer and have them send ex a letter, stating that ex has so many days to cooperate with FRO and sign off that you paid....if not, you'll be filing a motion. (Ex may sign off then...you don't even need to go through court)

Mine got settled through lawyers out of court.