Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 11:57 AM

anotherSTEPmother is on a distinguished road
Default Document, document, document...

Hello everyone,
I wanted to have a little discussion about documenting everything because of home important it can be in some cases (though completely useless in others). Here are the different methods I have tried,

1. Text messaging: text messaging is good in the sense that you can show someone the message (OCL, police if necessary) for proof. If you use this communication format take a picture of the message, do not have the person saved as a contact so that the number shows up and make sure the date and time information is displayed.

NOTE: There has been some discussion in the past about obtaining information from cellular providers about text messaging. As I am going through this process right now I thought I would offer some insight:
- Cellular providers WILL NOT provide ANY report that includes the content of messaging.
- You CAN get a report that includes the information about what date/time text messages were sent and received and to/from which phone number only.
- You MUST have a court order to get this information from the phone company (ROGERS for sure).
- The COST of this is HUGE $300/month of records!!!!! WOW So if you have multiple numbers, etc you must pay $300/month PER NUMBER!

2. Verbal Communication: do not speak much in person if you are in a high conflict situation. You can record your conversations HOWEVER, OCL will not/cannot listen to recordings, the Court will likely not listen to them either. We have only found the effective in keep the police off of the front step because of false accusations by the ex.

3. Email: I am going to say that this is the BEST form of communication now in my opinion. It is easily printed and attached to documents, OCL will read, and it is automatically date/time stamped so there is no arguing/lying happening.

4. Mail/courier: Mail is no good, because you really have no proof that you sent anything. Things seem to get "lost" in the mail. Registered mail and courier deliveries with "Signature Required" is OK but again you have to proved your content.

I would suggest that if you EVER need to make a request or anything that could go wrong and be turned around SHOULD be sent via EMAIL if possible.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or experiences that could be helpful?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 PM

StepMom25 is on a distinguished road

I abolutely agree with you. Email is the very best form of communication. Since it is all recorded.

In our situation, we think the ex is finally understanding the ramifications of having everything documented becuase she is now refusing to take part in email communication.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:26 PM

About_Time is on a distinguished road

Carrier pigeon's are right out. Those feathery b*stards will never testify on your behalf in court!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:43 PM

anotherSTEPmother is on a distinguished road

I agree, the ex in our situation used to do MSN chats but decided that this was unacceptable when the chats began to appear in court documents LOL not really surprised. Verbal (with recordings) because the norm for a while but when we realized that not many would listen that we tried to reduced this as much as possible and switched to texts.

She recently said she was done with texting and verbally refused email. Then by our lucky stars she initiated email communication all on her own last week!

This seems easier but our response to her email will nip it in the butt QUICK lol, so I am guess that we never see a response to the email we sent her.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:42 PM

ConcernenedStepMom78 is on a distinguished road

I read that you canont use recordings, but then was told by someone else you can...waht are the legalities behind this?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:54 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by About_Time View Post
Carrier pigeon's are right out. Those feathery b*stards will never testify on your behalf in court!
Sh*t. I just spent $1,000 for one. A real beaut too! Oh well.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM

ROFL DDTE well theres always smoke signals and air writing
Old 10-29-2010, 03:11 PM

lumpy is on a distinguished road

I think maybe I'll try what some parents do ... Much easier than all of this actually recording what the other parents says...

From now on I will imagine entire conversations with them and write in an affadavit! That should work.... right???
Old 10-29-2010, 03:15 PM

Dies LAughing......
Old 10-29-2010, 03:28 PM

MomForEver is on a distinguished road

All though this is not a funny topic at least we can share a smile once in a while. Thanks for that and THANKS for the information. I wondered what the best method of communications is. I like to use email when there is conflict myself.
Closed Thread

Tags
communication, document, family law, phone, tracking