Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 08:17 PM

sunrobot2002 is on a distinguished road
Default Divorce

Hi, I Married In New Jersey To An American Girl. I Am Candaian And She Moved Here For The Past 6 Years Where I Sponsered Her. We Seperated In May 05. We Have Official Seperation Papers In Canada That Is Uncontested And All Issues Have Been Agreeded Upon. I Would Now Like To Get A Divorce. Do I Have To Go Back To New Jersey Or Can I File For Divorce In The Town In Ontario Where We Have Been Living?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:30 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrobot2002
Hi, I Married In New Jersey To An American Girl. I Am Candaian And She Moved Here For The Past 6 Years Where I Sponsered Her. We Seperated In May 05. We Have Official Seperation Papers In Canada That Is Uncontested And All Issues Have Been Agreeded Upon. I Would Now Like To Get A Divorce. Do I Have To Go Back To New Jersey Or Can I File For Divorce In The Town In Ontario Where We Have Been Living?

Good question,

I would contact your ex and attempt to have the divorce brought forth in Canada. Reason being is that you seem to want the divorce and closure.

If she agrees, why not bring forth a joint application for divorce in Canada.

I believe the requirement is to be a resident in a particular province for one year to bring forth the application for divorce.

The Divorce Act(Canada) can be found here. It is very worthwhile to read.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/D-3.4/49354.html
Old 01-05-2006, 09:59 AM

Lindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura about

subrobot2002,

I just wanted to add that a simple uncontested divorce is an option too. This may be a better route if your wife wants little to do with the divorce. With a simple uncontested divorce, she would just have to accept service of your application and forget about it. Once your wife is noted in default you may move forward with the divorce without her involvement.

Please check out this thread:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/s...tested+divorce

Lindsay
Closed Thread