Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2005, 10:05 AM

Athena99 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Debt from the marriage

I was married for 7 years(this july), no children.
I found out around the 4 1/2 year mark my spouse had been gambling. I went to counselling with him and all seemed okay but as it turns out he was still gambling. He recently left the home. I found out he was seeing someone else as well before he left. He is now engaged, even though we are not divorced.
I still have the debt. Personal line of credit that is in both our names.
The home is in my name only. I had been paying all the bills during the whole marriage. Anyhow the line of credit was too big for me to even pay the interest so I used the house to refinance the debt to pay it off.
Now I've maxed out the home and if I sell it now I would not make any money but at least the debt is managable. Would I ever be able to recoup his share of the debt? Even though the whole debt was actually his as he had gambled most of it away. Was I wrong to pay it off? Otherwise they would have gone automatically into my account and took out the money for the min. payment if I did not pay......and that was alot.
Would I be able to get this money back in the divorce?
Thanks!
Old 11-17-2005, 03:16 PM

lammie is on a distinguished road

That is one of the pitfalls of marriage and divorce. Finanacial issues can haunt you for a while. Your best bet is to try and sever yourself from him in any way possible financial and start working on your own individual finances and credit apart from him. Can't really worry about what is in the past, just need to look forward.
Closed Thread