Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2017, 05:03 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road
Default Custody issue in netflix show one of us

Has anyone seen this documentary? It follows a woman trying to leave the Hasidic Jewish community due to years of abuse (physical and emotional). I felt so awlful for the mother getting 1 hour of visitation per week, because of status quo. The scene where she tells her support group the judges decision and they all sit there silent, no one knowing what to say, because, really there is nothing anyone could say, heartbreaking.

It seemed so odd. I dont know enough about how courts work in Canada, but I hope that could not happen here. The basic premise was a woman who left an abusive relaitonship, who had no help from her community in this relationship, felt she needed to leave her husband and was shunned by the community, also her entire family turned against her, no money, no decent job because has no schooling or training due to children leave school at 13 years old, vs. the lawyers the religious community hires, and use status quo to say children must stay with the father. How status quo trumps best interest of the child is mind boggling. It was even brought into court, implications the mother was not modest enough, wearing socks instead of tights, and reading "secular" books was bad.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:44 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Yes, I literally just watched this a few days ago. One of the problems is that the justice system in NY is somewhat "bought" by this extremist religious community. It happens in Utah too with the Mormons. Could it happen in Canada? Perhaps...
Old 10-29-2017, 06:59 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

It seems to wrong that living in an extreme manner wins the status quo while, a woman trying to move on in life and live in a slightly more typical norm looses the argument. There were no allegations of abuse from the mother, at least not that the doumentary showed, so you would think that a more equal parenting arrangement would be given by the judge. I dont think it is a fair argument to say that because your religious beliefs say you must exclude the outside world, then when a parent leaves that world, the judge supports excluding that parent. My guess in Canada, the court might favor the less extreme parent, but I am not sure. In this documentary it is well known all the children leave what little schooling they have at 13 for solely religous education, whereas in Canada are you not required to be in school until 16? You would think on that ground alone the judge would favor the parent who puts the child in school. Should schooling not be a given right in favor of the childs best interest?