Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2005, 11:42 AM

debip is on a distinguished road
Default community property

I Live In Louisiana And It's A Community Property State. I'm Not Divorced, But I Need To Know If One Spouse Can Sell A Piece Of Real Estate Without The Other Agreeing To It?? He Signed A Purchase Agreement, Without My Knowledge, And I'm Trying To Break It. The Prospective Buyers Are Trying To Force A Sale, But How Can I Be Made To Sell My Half Of The Interest In The Property??
Old 10-14-2005, 01:12 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

I would think he would need an order from the court to force you to sell especially since your not willing. You may have to compensate for the other persons share of the property. The purchase agreement or transaction will not go through without your consent. Check with a local lawyer and get an understanding of your rights and obligations.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:19 PM

nikitaforce will become famous soon enoughnikitaforce will become famous soon enough

I had the opposite happen...my ex refused to sign an agreement for the sale of the house.
I had to get a immediate order for the courts to force him to sign...I was told that if he didn't sign and I lost the value of the home because of it, I could then later sue him for the loss but there was a way to sell it without his signature. But court ordered here in Canada only. No realtor here would do it without his signature.
Luckily for me, he ended up agreeing prior to the order being necessary.
Closed Thread