Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

If it as about rules and practices then set aside YOUR issue that the CS payor makes more money than the CS recipient parent.

And consider this: if the payor makes significantly more than the recipient, it is likely that he/she is paying a reasonable, if not good or great amount of support. Therefore, without even knowing the exact figures it sounds without a doubt that a passport, which averages to less than $1 a month for its five year validity, is INDEED covered in the CS received.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:28 PM

Mother is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
If it as about rules and practices then set aside YOUR issue that the CS payor makes more money than the CS recipient parent.

And consider this: if the payor makes significantly more than the recipient, it is likely that he/she is paying a reasonable, if not good or great amount of support. Therefore, without even knowing the exact figures it sounds without a doubt that a passport, which averages to less than $1 a month for its five year validity, is INDEED covered in the CS received.
Great! Thanks muchly! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That's exactly what I thought: whoever get CS needs to pay for the passport too. Otherwise, every sneeze - a %% will be charged to the paying parent (this is the tendency I see receiving parent exhibiting on more than one occasion).

Paying parent makes $7K more than the receiving one.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:42 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB_ View Post
My ex and I share the cost of the passports 50/50 as this is not S7. I pay offset child support.
I split the cost with my ex also, simply because it wasn't much and definitely because it was not with dealing with any attitude from the other side after the fact. $40-$50 is cheap for peace of mind.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I split the cost with my ex also, simply because it wasn't much and definitely because it was not with dealing with any attitude from the other side after the fact. $40-$50 is cheap for peace of mind.
I find this is a pushover attitude and it leads to you getting walked on.

Its funny rockscan complains her husband gets abused and then condones him paying off his ex to keep the peace (for the passport).

Child support is already an unfair unaccountable transfer of wealth, this is just further abuse.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

A passport is a basic goverment document, it should be paid in proportion to custody time if shared and by the custodial parent if not.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:23 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

He did this last spring when they were working together. When he found out the cheque was cashed and passports not filed he raised a stink. He wont be volunteering money again. I was simply pointing out what his agreement said and what he did. Now you know he got burned being nice which is why hes not mr nice guy anymore.

I dont control his actions. He made the decision and suffered the ensuing consequences. My comments in a different thread related to a completely different matter. Dont try to connect the two when theres no connection.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM

Helpinghands is on a distinguished road

In my opinion the party that is travelling with the child pays for the passport fee.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:58 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpinghands View Post
In my opinion the party that is travelling with the child pays for the passport fee.
You assume only one parent will travel with the child. Bad assumption, especially when most Canadians live within a couple hours drive to a place that requires a passport to enter.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:06 PM

Helpinghands is on a distinguished road

No I didn't assume that only one parent is travelling. It probably came out in a way that it could be misunderstood. IN MY OPINION Whoever is in the position that the passport is needed to travel they should do it. I wouldn't put up a fight for such a small issue ! But that is MY opinion
Old 06-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother View Post
Let me try again.

A child

Two parents - joint custody, child resides with parent 1 who gets CS from parent 2

Child's passport has expired, needs to be renewed for the future travels

Parent 1 (with CS) demands from parent 2 to pay 60% of the cost for thr passport renewal based on the fact that parent 2 gets bigger salary

Question: does perent 2 needs to pay for the passport? Any legal rules for this? If yes - how much (%)?

And yes, the same question again - what is covered by CS?
Its not a section 7 expense. Its like buying a suitcase for the child to go on the vacation. CS should cover it. Now if both parents want to chip in then great if not the CS recipient needs to cover it. That is what it is for. Whether or not it is more appropriate for both parties to work together does not matter. I know of one parent who would just say oh whatever here - I will get it. And that parent does that all the time and the other parent just keeps asking but he always says its for my kids so I do it. He is lucky and has the cash to do that. Not all can, so decisions have to be made.

Section 7. Pay proportionate to income
Not section 7 CS covers it.