Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 01:45 AM

altec is on a distinguished road
Default children in courtroom is it proper?

I have to go to court and Everytime I go My ex brings our son into the court room. Our son is now 2 years old. I have asked her not to do this as I feel it is not proper. I think she does this to make me nervous as I am self represented. I find it distracting. Her lawyer has ignored my request. I know my son doesn't understand everything that is being said but I am sure he can sense something is wrong. What can I do to prevent this from happening again.

Any advice would be helpful
Old 10-28-2005, 01:14 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

My opinion personally is that I don't think it is appropriate. You could bring a motion to have the children or child not to be present during the preceding.

You could cite that it may be disruptive to the proceeding and also I wouldn't think that it is in the child's best interest to be subject to discussions that pertain to mom and dad. These are adult discussions. This might look bad upon her for not arranging adequate child care.

In some US states I heard that they allow children in the family court rooms to testify and depose. I don't think it is the status quo here in Ont.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:42 PM

Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about

I was in court once and a woman had 2 children around 4 & 6 years of age with her. Judge would not start anyones including her case until the children were removed from the courtroom.

I'd bring someone with you, a trusted friend or family member and have them take care of your son outside the courtroom until your matter is dealt with.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:52 AM

kconnections is on a distinguished road

I do not believe that the child should be in the courtroom. I too find it inappropriate and would see if the judge would rule that no children can be in the courtroom during proceedings.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:39 PM

nikitaforce will become famous soon enoughnikitaforce will become famous soon enough

totally inappropriate and you simply ask a judge for permission to not allow it...regardless of the state or province...most judges would not allow it but remember they are the boss and to ask for their permission in whatever process that is applicable.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:21 PM

homer is on a distinguished road

I dont think it is right.
I would not take young children into the court. They will have those memories with them forever, it is unhealthy.

Leave them with grandma, but dont take them to court..
Old 12-02-2005, 11:02 PM

Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about

Exactly, let grandma, grandpa spoil them rotting, for the day!!!

Leave the children out of the courtroom.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:55 AM

Lisa is on a distinguished road

I agree, NO CHILDREN SHOULD BE ALLOWED IN THE COURTHOUSE let alone the Courtroom!!!! It is far too traumatizing for them, if discussions lead to heated arguments it is not fair that they are being put through this. I know most Judges do not like this, and usually do frown upon it. I am not sure if it is possible, but, if your spouse will not leave the child at home then ask the judge before proceeding if it would be ok to leave the child with the security officers outside the courtroom. I am not they can do that, but at least the child would be safe and out of ear shoot to the proceedings. Other then that, talk to your ex again and explain to her why you do not want your child there and hopefully she will listen.
Closed Thread