Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 01:32 PM

Decent Dad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child Support Guidelines - May 2006 Changes

Some people have asked what is changing in the guidelines come May (2006). Here it is:

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/20.../sor400-e.html
Old 02-10-2006, 01:43 PM

BTW, I love this line:

"paragraph 7(1.1)(a) provides that expenses are extraordinary if they exceed what the requesting spouse can reasonably cover, in light of his or her income."

Gee, that's not going to send everyone to court. What the heck are they thinking??
Old 02-13-2006, 03:00 AM

sasha1 is on a distinguished road

Don't want you to think no one's paying attention to this thread.. I am, but unless you've got an accurate synopsis of the reforms, you'll have to forgive the delay. Raising kiddos alone leaves so little time for other things; surely the new reforms are in recognition of that, right?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:52 PM

Hey... no problem. I just posted the link since people kept asking about it in different threads.

I have a lot on the go too... I wish I could chat all day about things.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Jeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud ofJeff has much to be proud of

Actually, this is a really important development. I've posted more about it here:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/blog/20...-2006-changes/

In a nutshell:

1. The term "extraordinary expenses" has been defined. Judges have had differing interpretations of the word. This amendment is to clarify that. It probably does clarify it, but I'm not sure it will reduce litigation over section 7 expenses.

2. If you are a support payor living outside Canada, in the past if you lived in a country with lower tax rates then Canada, you may have had to pay more child support to reflect the lower tax rates. However, the converse wasn't true with people living in countries with higher tax rates then Canada. Now, people living in countries with higher tax rates then Canada can argue that this should reduce the amount of child support they pay.

3. Table amounts of child support are increasing, often by 10% to 20%. The new tables constitute a material change in circumstances, which means you can go back to court and ask for this increase.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:45 AM

Jeff. I read your blog. You are right on!

I expect to be in court for years. Actually, I expect everyone to be in court for years.
Closed Thread