Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 03:21 PM

Wyntermcd is on a distinguished road
Default Case law regarding transportation for access

Has anyone come across any specific canlii cases that support the NCP and CP having to share transportation costs/driving for access because the CP moved a significant distance away? Or even better where the CP moved and was required to do the transportation? I'll take either or, in just starting to search for any myself but I know sometimes others have already looked and bookmarked some for their own use.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:36 PM

FindingMyFeet is on a distinguished road

CanLII - 2008 CanLII 70548 (ON SC) - I hope the link works. It's Petit v. Petit, and one I used in my own 3 day trial in January of this year.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 PM

Can I reasonably cite paragraph 206 even though it appears to be a case of joint custody when our situation is a sole custody/acess parent situation?

The CP lawyer has informed the NCP via a letter that normally it is the access parent who is responsible for any transportation. NCP is arguing to maintain shared transportation.

Last edited by Wyntermcd; 04-30-2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 AM

OntarioMomma is on a distinguished road

I've not found case law, but I've always heard and read that it's the moving parent that's responsible for transportation. I'd be interested to see the case law people have.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 AM

I may have used the wrong terminology there, but I've come across a number of cases where judges have ordered shared transportation, which is good enough for me, I'm tired of feeling bullied by the CP's lawyer
Old 05-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

Ordering and enforcing are two different things. Would reduced CS to offset transportation time (off work maybe) and costs be more appropriate for your situation?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM

CP would never accept that however we may throw it in just so we can say we offered reasonable alternatives
Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

There are quite a few cases (at least in Alberta Court of Queen's Bench - CanLii) dealing with transportation costs for access.

Here is one from court of appeal

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/do...FjY2VzcwAAAAAB

When you go to CanLii, select a province, then type in "transportation costs for access".
Old 05-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Huh, I found it interesting that in the Ruek case the court looked at the fact that the mother had a new baby and that was considered as part of a reason that she shouldn't have to share in transportation. Yet if someone tried to use the argument of the responsibilities and financial burdens of a new baby to reduce existing support they would be lambasted.