Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 04:07 PM

self-rep-leftie is on a distinguished road
Default Case Conference Brief: specifics

In prep for first case conference, and hoping others have greater insight on these sections of Form17A, your comments would be most appreciated!

12. Proposal to resolve issues: I imagine stating mediation/arbitration is given, what else can often be seen here?

16. “Give names of possible assessors” ...as applicant wishing to resolve access, am I to answer yes & research for possible private assessors?

21. what are examples of “other issues” to be reviewed–or, why you would give details here instead of 11?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:43 PM

MrToronto is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure you either served a motion or had one served on you. Could you elaborate. This will help on structuring the Case Conference Brief
Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Hi- first CC, so no motion yet(trying to get there)... so are these sections meant for a later CC? I understand Form 17A is used for first CC brief, yes?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 PM

Is there anyone with familiarity to 17A for first case conference brief that can comment? I can find general guides to procedures for the overall process, but no specifics to this form...

Thanks for feedback!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:53 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
12. Proposal to resolve issues: I imagine stating mediation/arbitration is given, what else can often be seen here?
A proposal to resolve issues would be similar to making an offer to settle. Remember, the case conference brief is not without prejudice, so you may wish to state "my offer to settle, on a without prejudice basis, is as follows:" if you want to make an offer.

Quote:
16. “Give names of possible assessors” ...as applicant wishing to resolve access, am I to answer yes & research for possible private assessors?
Do you want an assessor?

There are four options here:
1 - "No".
2 - "Yes, appointing the OCL".
3 - "Yes, appointing NAMENAME or OTHERNAME".
4 - "Yes, with person to be determined".

Quote:
21. what are examples of “other issues” to be reviewed–or, why you would give details here instead of 11?
Other issues are issues that fit in nowhere else.

"We rented an apartment and, while we did not get married and therefore there is no equalization of property, the day before we broke up the other side got drunk, threw up on my carpet and I had to pay $500 for it to be cleaned. I want half/all of that reimbursed!"

The answer to this may well be "no", unless there is something exceptional.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:07 PM

OrleansLawyer, this is awesome, it frames the uncertainties I had with the form... so a big thank you! (& your "other" descriptive had me rotf

This forum is indispensable, thanks to the host as well!