Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2015, 04:28 PM

keepcalmandcarryon is on a distinguished road
Default CAS File

How would I get access to my family CAS files? There have been a couple of engagements with CAS and I would like to see their files.

I am in Ontario.

Last edited by keepcalmandcarryon; 06-28-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added location
Old 06-28-2015, 11:34 PM

LawHelp is on a distinguished road

You would have to contact the director or your case worker of CAS that's involved. They will charge a nominal fee and send you the reports. Make sure to ask for any written notes as well. You shouldn't have a problem getting the file.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:41 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

If the engagements involve you or your children, you probably have a caseworker. I think you're allowed to ask for a copy of their reports and possibly also their notes.

However, I don't think you can get access to information that CAS has collected about people other than yourself or your minor dependents, just like you can't get access to other people's medical records or financial information without their consent. This is considered personal information, and the Access to Information Act says that personal information can only be released to a third party if the person in question consents or if the information is considered to be "in the public interest".
Old 06-28-2015, 11:44 PM

LawHelp is on a distinguished road
Default CAS File

Yes you are right. I mistook it for OCL report . My bad.
Based on my own experience, You can get a copy of the CAS file if you can obtain a court order for the file to be released to you.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:58 AM

Serene is on a distinguished road

You can get a written copy by requesting it in writing. No charge. It contained information on the other parent as well.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:45 PM

mathewoliviera is on a distinguished road

I requested information from CAS I had to fill out paper work as to what documents I was looking for, and had to pay a fee. You can only access files on yourself and your dependents and only if you're directly involved.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
How would I get access to my family CAS files? There have been a couple of engagements with CAS and I would like to see their files.
1 - call them and ask. They may say no.
2 - court Order, from a motion in which the CAS was served. They may consent; ask.