Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 PM

Fedupandtired is on a distinguished road
Default Can someone help me with wording? School letter.

I have joint custody of my 2 girls and I have never been able to see school report cards or anything since last March. I would like to fax the school my joint custody agreement and send them a letter asking for report cards ect...Can someone help me out with wording? thank you.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:00 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

i would ask that any papers dealing with grades etc be sent to both homes
Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 PM

rwm1273 is an unknown quantity at this point

My children's schools have sent me all documents since I gave them a copy of the court order and spoke with them. Initially I had been given the cold shoulder from the school, but as time went on, they started to see who was the problem, and finally they went to bat for me, and I got custody of my kids thanks to them.

I best advice is to go see the school, make an appointment to sit down and discuss your child with the principal or administration manager, or both. Let them know your concerns, and let them see that you are a concerned parent. Be polite, and earn their trust.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM

Fedupandtired is on a distinguished road

Thank you. I think I will call for an app to speak with the principal tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM

InterprovincialParents is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to InterprovincialParents

We have access, and we do l/d parent-teacher, emails, discussions with the teachers...but we fought for it. Talk to the principal, have a copy of your court order handy so that it can be placed on your child's file. Then engage yourself in your child's education.

If you have any issues furthermore, ask for the principal, wait on hold for the principal, and if she is not there, ask when she is expected to return...explain to the office staff that if the principal does not respond on their first day back to school, you will be contacting the trustee.

If you need a "form letter" to the trustee, let me know It worked wonders!

Disclaimer: I use she, not sexist, just my way, and not meant to offend.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:28 PM

As for the wording on a fax, it would be,

As per our telephone call earlier, please find the attached order to be placed on (child's name)'s file and (child's name)'s file. I would appreciate if all parental correspondence is copied to me at the following address, in line with my joint custody court order attached. I also appreciate your assistance in getting my personal information updated on my childrens' school records. I expect to receive the past years' report cards at your earliest convenience.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. I trust that this is satisfactory, but please don't hesitate to contact me should you require further."

Regards,

(name)
(address)
(home phone)
(work or cell phone)
Old 09-22-2010, 05:29 PM

It is better, though, for you to call and set up a 45-minute meeting with the principal.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 PM

anotherSTEPmother is on a distinguished road

I agree, you need to meet with the principal first, perhaps bring your letter typed to give it to him/her and a copy of your court order. I would though make the effort to get in touch with your children's teachers. That way you can be more involved then just getting paperwork.

Most schools have websites where you can also request newsletters and other documentation.

Either way showing your sincere concern in person will go a long way, something that is more difficult to accomplish with a fax.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 PM

rwm1273 is an unknown quantity at this point

I might not include what you expect to receive, and just leave it up to them to provide you what they want to give. It may sound a bit too demanding.

They may give you more than you were expecting.

Your goal is to try to get them to be an ally, and maybe they will consider involving you more in school activities, and help to foster a more involved relationship with your child at school. I have been called by the PTA to assist with hot lunches and other school activities, which upset my ex wife to no end, but gave our judge more insite to who really was "child focused"
Old 09-22-2010, 06:21 PM

mrsb is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very surprised that the school would not provide you with updates at your request. When I filled out the stack of back to school stuff this year I noticed on the back of the registration sheet stating that they are required by law to share information with both parents unless there is a court order attached indicating them not to. Maybe it is just my kids school board though.

I agree about having a face to face meeting with the school and your kids teachers. If you still don't get the info you requested than send the letter.
Closed Thread